Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 237

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Ultramatic Oil Level & Transmission Swap Info
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren J. Erickson
See User information
Hi all:

Until recently, I had a friend who owned a garage with a lift. So this was a no brainer.

How do you guys accurately check your Ultramatic oil level? It seems, if you jack up the car in front or from the side. You get an inaccurate reading on the stick.

I have a slight throttle shaft seal leak that needs to be attended to. This leak is non existent when the car is running. It only comes to play when the car is shut down for some time. I suppose this is due to the oil slowly draining out of the converter. Raising the level of the oil, in the case, to the seal level?

Anyway, until I get the seal fixed. I need to check the oil often. And at 64, my frame doesn't fit well under my Packard's 55 year old frame very well. . To get at that silly stick, under the car. I guess you guys with functioning Gear Starts don't have this problem. Maybe it's time for a 700R2 swap.

Check this out, all you straight eight / ultramatic owners. Pretty neat huh?

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/Packard%20to%20Chev%20adapter%20kit.htm

Posted on: 2009/9/13 7:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic Oil Level & Transmission Swap Info
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Put in a Gear Start or buy a '55-'56 and you can use the dipstick.

Posted on: 2009/9/13 8:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I just throw mine up on 4 jackstands. I jack up the front first so it doesn't roll, install the stands, then jack up the back by the differential. When you have as many tranny problems as mine, you get quite fast at it!

Posted on: 2009/9/13 8:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know of any easy way to check it either short of cutting an access panel in the side and corner of the trans tunnel. Your theory of why it leaks when it does is probably correct. To change the leaking seal is a bit involved but think possible without trans removal--& if that only leak maybe worth considering. 51Packards idea is the proper one, but he must be younger than we are (or maybe bend in more places better).

Am glad to see the adapter finally available as that does give some options for those inclined. Some have said they thought the 2004R would be a better choice for Packards though. Am also surprised to see the small gear reduction starter used with it as that pretty much dictates a change to 12v. Guess if you're doing a modern trans, modern electrics isn't a big stretch though.

Anyone seen these up close or have an idea to price? Their other kit prices seem to have a wide range.

Posted on: 2009/9/13 8:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
That kit better be cheap if that's the only transmissions it works for. What happens if you'd rather put a manual trans behind it? A Chevy 4 or 5 speed behind the old straight eight would be ideal.

Posted on: 2009/9/13 10:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
The adapter is a little confusing...why keep the powerplant stock and put a newer tranny on it. If you are going to modify the packard with a new tranny, why not a new motor? I'm going to keep the original tranny.

I also put the car on four jack stands to check the tranny level (52 300). On the road I drive onto a curb, keeping the car as level as possible, use a carbboard crawler, and reach up. I'm only 42 so I don't know what I'll do in 10 years when bending my arm upwards and backwards is no longer an option. Guess I'll need to stay in shape.

Posted on: 2009/9/13 12:45
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Carl Madsen
See User information
Where's a good spot to jack up (floor jack) the rear of my 52 300? I've been using the differential, but I think that is hard on the differential casing, not designed to take that pressure. Where the springs hit the axle? Ideas?

Posted on: 2009/9/13 12:51
-Carl | [url=https://packardinfo.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The only place they went to pains to say not to use in 51 is the center x member and some of the illustrations do show jacking the differential in back and frame xover in front.

Having said that, in 56 they introduced an attachment for hydraulic jacks to raise car level and evenly at the bumper support bars in front and back to place jackstands (SC Vol 30#6). Since the frames are virtually identical, would think that also is a recommended place on yours but need an awfully large jack without the adapter.

Attach file:

jpg  (15.89 KB)
209_4aad3768a3f65.jpg 339X293 px

Posted on: 2009/9/13 13:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
I've seen factory photos showing cars being jacked up on the center of the X of the frame. This is not the only way to raise a car and unless you have a VERY long and heavy duty jack you'll never be able to. I found a Packard branded jack years ago buried in mud at the Todd Shipyard in San Fran which looked identical to the one I saw in that photo.

Unless the car in question is a custom body, limo or other professional car (heavier than normal) I'd say you should be alright jacking it in the center of the differential or under the front crossmemeber.

Posted on: 2009/9/13 13:20
Who has my future '56 Patrician? Please let me know!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Prior to 51 the center x was strong and possibly a recommended spot. After the 51's came out mechanics still used it thus the service bulletin 50T-41.

Attach file:

jpg  (5.25 KB)
209_4aad38b248aba.jpg 489X75 px

Posted on: 2009/9/13 13:23
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved