Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 212

DaveJr, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Bolt in Replacement for TreadleVac
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
Craig,
I will include that picture, that should help them see whats going on alot better than I can explain it, thanks

Posted on: 2009/9/21 12:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
For those of us that want a SINGLE line and NO prop valve then what about just connecting the TWO lines of the tandem cylinder together at or near the output ports of the cylinder????

Why on earth would you want to do that?

As for the proportioning valve, when I converted my '56 Pat I used a Mopar master cylinder and no proportioning valve and never had any problems with it. It stopped perfectly straight from all the speeds that I had it up to. I never had the rear brakes lock up before the front and vice versa. People are making a mountain out of a molehill when they start talking about diameters of the m/c piston and proportioning valves. If a prop valve is such a big issue to you, get an adjustable one and be done with it. The ONLY car I ever put a proportioning valve on was my '49 Hudson that had 4 wheel disc brakes. And yes, it was adjustable.

Posted on: 2009/9/21 14:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
with the same valving and travel, pedal ratio, etc.

In addition to the picture Craig provided on clearance, would be a good idea to make sure they know the unit is at bottom of pedal so ratio is 1:1. That ratio issue seems to be the major stopper everyone runs into trying to make something work in the original location.

Posted on: 2009/9/21 19:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Just for the record--a dual master cylinder makes the same pressure at both ports: the pressure in the one half creates the pressure in the other half by means of a free piston. Unless it has a very tricky stepped bore arrangement, physics assures the pressure is the same. I am not aware of any like that. I've changed half a dozen Studes to dual MC at customer's request with no change in the actual braking.

Usually proportioning valves are found in cars with disc/drum combos because the discs required higher hydraulic pressure to apply than the drums did. Stude skipped that hassle by putting small dia cylinders on the rear of cars with front discs so the rear brakes would not over brake.

Posted on: 2009/9/21 21:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
Quote:
In addition to the picture Craig provided on clearance, would be a good idea to make sure they know the unit is at bottom of pedal so ratio is 1:1. That ratio issue seems to be the major stopper everyone runs into trying to make something work in the original location.

the guy told me where the unit was before i told him, he understands where it is and they have built a custom unit for someone in the same position before (not a Packard)I think he said a Buick --- but the idea is they will take mine apart and build the same thing, just with all the new upgrades and a dual resevoir mc

Posted on: 2009/9/22 8:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
but the idea is they will take mine apart and build the same thing, just with all the new upgrades and a dual resevoir mc

That is interesting. From that description, almost sounds as if they are keeping the treadlevac booster section but replacing the hydraulics with something modern. Keep us posted.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 8:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Be sure that the vendor is aware that the FORWARD end of the MC fits EXTRMELY close to the frame!!

i.e. the OVERALL lenght of the entire unit must not exceed the length of stock BTV!!! OTherwise, frame interference will obtain.

Actualy, i would prefer at least 1/8" shorter or maybe even 1/4" shorter to allow for body sag and road compliance.

The stock BTV sat extremely close to frame at the very forward end of the MC..

Posted on: 2009/9/22 10:01
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
i hear ya, there is no room down there -- if there wasn't the availability of remote resevoirs i wouldn't even consider putting it down there, but when this does happen that will be information he will have, i have to measure all clearances before i even remove the BTV

Posted on: 2009/9/23 18:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Joe:

If you need a bare chassis+body, I have a 56 400 here that would do nicely. It still has the original BTV in place. I'll take as many pictures as you need.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/9/23 20:19
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
If you need a bare chassis+body, I have a 56 400 here that would do nicely. It still has the original BTV in place. I'll take as many pictures as you need.

It's still in the car???? I figured you'd have cut a hole in it and mounted it on a pole in the front yard!

That's what I'm doing to all the one's I come across.....

Posted on: 2009/9/23 20:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved