Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 225

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Here they are! My two '55 Packards
Just popping in
Just popping in

PackardWillys
See User information
Well, I hope I loaded the photos properly. As you can see the coral Packard looks pretty good. Unfortunately, beauty is only skin deep! The exterior is fine with pretty decent chrome. However the front floors are rotted and interior had rain and furry visitors over the past 40 years. It looks like the engine has new fuel pump and other things that indicate it may actually fire up some day.
While the blue Packard doesn't look as nice, it is actually pretty solid and the interior has been keep dry with minimum damage. Unfortunately, the engine compartment has a lot of rust and very doubtful that engine will turn over.
The decision is, what to do to morph these into one drivable and attractive car.
Anyway, thought I'd share these pictures with you.
For those interested in car data and VIN info:
Coral: 55825517
Blue: 55821951

Attach file:

jpg  (149.35 KB)
1818_4ab984251f6ab.jpg 1080X810 px

jpg  (149.35 KB)
1818_4ab9845ca4aa5.jpg 1080X810 px

jpg  (164.16 KB)
1818_4ab984885c5e7.jpg 1080X810 px

jpg  (135.15 KB)
1818_4ab984b851a68.jpg 1080X810 px

jpg  (154.35 KB)
1818_4ab984e62d8ac.jpg 1080X810 px

Posted on: 2009/9/22 21:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Here they are! My two '55 Packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What kind of mileage is showing on the speedo's. Any known history or documentation with the cars???

Posted on: 2009/9/22 21:51
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
You are probably thinking the obvious thing: make two into one, using the best parts from both.

Whatever you decide, good luck! 55 Pats are cool cars. IMO, the best looking 4dr of the 1950s. At least that's what many people have told me, including at least two teenage girls.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/9/23 6:34
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Douglas
See User information
Cool deal,two Packards are better than one --- I would definitely suggest using the one with a good body ---

i don't know what Craig is doing out there with two teenage girls, in Neveda, in a Pat but I (a redneck from Texas)also think they are great looking cars

Posted on: 2009/9/23 8:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
PackardWillys I'm sure you can't wait to get one of those 55 Pats on the road!

I drove mine to the local supermarket this AM and was swarmed by about 40 French tourists when I drove up. Despite the language barrier, they were all smiles, thumbs up and clicking cameras. There were even several good looking youngish French women in the admiring crowd.

I'm sure you'll have the same kind of experience, hopefully soon.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/9/23 13:15
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
PackardWillys,

Welkcome! Two Packards should get you over your 'willys' (the willies?)
[willies pl.n. Slang Feelings of uneasiness. Often used with 'the' : The dark, dank cave gave me the willies.

Making one good PACKARD from the pair seems the most realistic plan. Though, your parts car may be close to being a driver (minus upholstery).

Red (Corral), White, and Blue seems an All-American car recovery combination.

Seriously, welcome to Packar-dom. You have an exciting 4-tons of work ahead of you.

DanL

Posted on: 2009/9/23 18:05
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
re: Packards and Willys -- I can't resist putting in my two cents worth.
I have two 55 Packards, also - 400 hardtops rather than sedans. In addition, I have a 1953 Willys Aero Eagle two door hardtop with a continental spare. If you think Packard V8s are misunderstood and under appreciated, try explaining a Willys. The Aero series had a unibody, an available F-head six and were a barrel of fun. The F-head with overdrive is my favorite. In all models, all four fenders were visible from the driver's seat. The bench seats were 60 inches wide, front and rear. They were simple, reliable and a good garage mate for a Packard. My first new car was a 54 Eagle. We drove it 120,000 plus miles before giving it to a friend. Still didn't burn oil.

Some day I'll learn to post pictures and can show them off.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2009/9/25 23:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Good point, Bernardi. Most people today don't know that in the early days of motordom Ford's major competition was not Cheverolet or Plymouth but the lowly Willys Overland. They were cheap, dependable and easy to maintain. Although GM caught up with their Chevies in the late '20s, the Overland's replacement (Whippet) was a typical Willys; again cheap, strong, dependable, simple and easily maintained.

While not Packards by any stretch of imagination, they were one of the best of their genre. In the short period that they were used, the (Willys) Knight with its sleeve valved engine was also a highly regarded piece of up-scale (though not in Packard's league) transportation.

Posted on: 2009/9/29 7:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
i definately appreciate those old willys! a friend of my fathers is a huge willys guy, and i helped him alot when i was younger. Rock solid dependable!

Posted on: 2009/9/29 14:51
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Pack120c
See User information

Posted on: 2009/9/29 16:51
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved