Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 237

BigKev, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: my new 49
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

mike
See User information
THe tires that came on my car have the whitelines mounted inward. Think I'm going to get them flipped around. My car is kinda plain looking it needs to be jazzed up a bit.

Posted on: 2009/9/29 12:36
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

mike
See User information
Finally got the car in the garage. Now I need to know are my lug nuts... I mean bolts, lefty loosey?

Posted on: 2009/10/4 16:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Yes, Packard didn't do that "Left hand right hand" crap like Chrysler did on their lug bolts/nuts.

Posted on: 2009/10/4 16:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Turbo:
I agree with most of what you have to say about the bathtub packards. However, I find evidence to believe that 22nd series Super Eight, at least convertibles, had chrome bumper inserts. I have attached a picture of the 2279 introduction. I own two of the 2279 convertibles, both of which came with chrome separators. One of which I am the third owner. The parts manual also lists both chrome and primered parts for the Supers.

Attach file:

jpg  (135.86 KB)
462_4ac964a21d6e8.jpg 1024X831 px

Posted on: 2009/10/4 22:14
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
You're right, I didn't take the Super Eights into account. Maybe I should rephrase that the say all the Junior cars had the painted bumper middle section. Of course, it may have been an option on all cars.

Posted on: 2009/10/5 5:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
My '49 22nd Eight has chrome insert, open mouth - appears to be original. If someone knowns of an option code I can check the build sheet.

Posted on: 2009/10/5 9:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I'm thinking it might have been an option, case in point:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Now, it's my understanding that by late '48 or maybe the 23rd series cars, that the front turn signals for the Super Eight were the size of the Custom Eight, but used the grille and bumpers from the Eight and Deluxe eight.

As to the bumpers, I've seen them both ways, but the painted bumpers I've only seen on 1948 cars. My guess is that it was a dealer option, or possibly someone with a '48 car seen the bumpers on the later cars and bought them to make their car look newer. I kinda wonder if points would be deducted if you have a later closed front bumper on a '48 car? Doesn't matter to me, as I don't give a rat's a$$ about points and judging when it comes to my cars, but others might want to know.

Posted on: 2009/10/5 11:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I find the last car (top down) appearance unusual - it appears to have a front painted insert but a chrome rear insert. I doubt that the factory did that. (But I'd drive it proudly nonetheless)

Posted on: 2009/10/5 13:53
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

mike
See User information
i started a new thread in the project blogs. don't forget about me :p i will need much help with this project.

Posted on: 2009/10/5 20:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved