Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
251 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 248

Gary Kulp, Alvin14, R H, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

55-56 Power Steering Bendix vs Monroe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Here's a problem I've had with my 55 Pat for a while that I plan to fix this winter. It has Bendix power steering which has a lot of "slop" off the center position before anything happens at the wheel. Because of an inspection I did about a year ago, I'm sure this is due to slop in the "control valve". The steering box is tight as are the other front end steering linkages components. In the Bendix, when the steering box arm moves, it moves a lever in the control valve assembly which, if it has slop in it, delays any movement of the power ram and hence the steering mechanism. In other words, this could be described as "indirect" power-assisted steering.

I have two 1956 400s, both with the Monroe power steering. Since one has the engine and front clip removed, it is easy to see how the Monroe works compared to the Bendix. In the Monroe, when the steering box arm moves, the entire control valve assembly moves; the power assist coming on internally, although the power assist could be delayed if the control valve were worn or leaking. In any case, there should be minimal, if any, slop in that arrangement. In other words, this could be described as "direct" power-assisted steering.

I have two questions:

(1) Anyone have direct experience with both systems and does your experience parallel mine?

(2) If not yes to (1), anyone with a Monroe have sloppy steering?

The results of discussion about this topic will probably determine which way I go to fix this problem. I.e., rebuild the Bendix control valve (non-trivial) or have one of the Monroes rebuilt (outside work, probably by Kantor).

Craig

Posted on: 2009/10/3 16:28
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Re: 55-56 Power Steering Bendix vs Monroe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My Patrician had the Monroe and the Caribb has the Bendix. Believe I prefer the Monroe as to me, it is a little "lighter" & felt more like PS I was used to from other cars. Can't recall anything I would call slop on it, nor does the Bendix seem to have any-- If you do change, the Monroe had a pump with higher pressure output and maybe that might have something to do with my perception of a different feel.

Posted on: 2009/10/3 16:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The Monroe steering in my old '56 Pat was perfectly tight, even after sitting for 40+ years.

Posted on: 2009/10/3 17:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The Monroe also has one less moving part - there is no idler arm. The PS pump is the same but there is a restrictor in the output side of the pump used by Monroe to boost the pressure as that system requires a higher pressure than Bendix. There are also fewer hoses and therefore hose connections to leak. I swapped my 400 over to Monroe years ago from my parts car and bought a Monroe system from Mike Dulinski for the Caribbean. For the Monroe system you need to swap everything from the the pitman arm to the cross tubes. Make sure you get the right side mounting bracket with the two grommets and washers. I did buy a new ram for the 400 and found one on ebay for the Caribbean.

Posted on: 2009/10/3 20:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Craig. Try checking for the 'slop' with hte engine RUNNING so that there will be pressure in the slave. Mine has the slop too when engine is NOT running. My car had a lot of wander to it until i set the caster negative instead of the book spec positive. Still has some wander to it during side-wind condtions tho.

Posted on: 2009/10/4 6:08
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Keith, the on-center slop in the steering occurs when I am driving it. Setting the caster slightly negative may have merit, but my Pat does not wander now with the caster it has.

Thanks for the input everyone. My plan now is to remove the Monroe steering from my stripped 56 400, recondition it and install it on my Pat. I'll let you know how it works out.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/10/4 6:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"but my Pat does not wander now with the caster it has."

ok SO what's the problem???? If there is no driveablity problems then why bother to change ANYTHING???

Posted on: 2009/10/4 11:17
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Keith, I guess I should have been more specific than "slop." When driving down a straight road, you can turn the steering wheel from about 10:30 to 1:30 and NOTHING HAPPENS to the car's direction!

Craig

Posted on: 2009/10/4 11:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Personally think Monroe is the way to go since you have the parts even with the work involved but am wondering if it will solve the issue.

Would be curious about what you find on the Bendix. If steering box and pitman arm on shaft splines is tight, that would seem to only leave one place where there could be play. The end of control valve where the ball stud is located has a spring and couple of cups for the ball socket. Should be a tight fit to the rod that controls valve. Would be curious if you find any damage or play there. IIRC, the control valve only moves maybe 1/8 inch total and should be under constant fluid pressure on both sides so no play possible without activating power cylinder.

Seems to me any lost motion would have to be in the mechanical side before the valve. If that were the case though, seems it should also be happening more than one place. Almost sounds as if another cross shaft/worm adjustment might help since it is only seems to be on high spot.

Posted on: 2009/10/4 12:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Ok Craig. I see what u mean now.

Posted on: 2009/10/4 13:11
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved