Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Packard used in car commercial
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Clipper47: I still have the owners manual for the 67 Bug that I owned. Got the manual out tonight and after reading the manual completely there is no reference made to any type of gasoline heater.

After reading the manual reminded me how crude the BUG engine was. No oil filter just a strainer to filter the oil and a oil bath air cleaner.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/10/11 19:51
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
BIGKEV: During the winter I shovel very little snow. My 8 horse Troy built snow blower does most of my snow shoveling.
Clearing snow out around my house and for three other neighbors is play time for me.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/10/11 20:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

Packard53 wrote:
Clipper47: I still have the owners manual for the 67 Bug that I owned. Got the manual out tonight and after reading the manual completely there is no reference made to any type of gasoline heater.

After reading the manual reminded me how crude the BUG engine was. No oil filter just a strainer to filter the oil and a oil bath air cleaner.

John F. Shireman

John, Maybe not an option that early. My '66 didn't have one but my wifes '70 did. I do think they were factory optional as my wifes car came brand new with the gas heater but maybe not available in the US?. Yes they had primitive oil filtration but it must have been effective since many of them went many miles without a rebuild.

Posted on: 2009/10/12 8:33
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
We have a guy here at work that drives a 73 VW Type 181 "THING" (Yes thats actually that they are called in the US market). It has a gas fueled heater on the opposite side of the dash firewall. Perhaps it was an option that didn't show up until the 70s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_181

Posted on: 2009/10/12 11:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
We have a guy here at work that drives a 73 VW Type 181 "THING" (Yes thats actually that they are called in the US market). It has a gas fueled heater on the opposite side of the dash firewall. Perhaps it was an option that didn't show up until the 70s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_181

Haven't heard of one of those in a long time. My late stepfather used to specialize in VW repairs. He said once that they were "cotter pin" cars. Meaning that they were shipped unasembled to save money and put together with lots of them. Wonder if he was right?

Posted on: 2009/10/13 0:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
I found some performance figures for a 1953 VW Bug

0-30 7.9 seconds
0-40 15.3 seconds
0-60 42.1 seconds

50 miles per gallon

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/10/15 19:53
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved