Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Need info on 55 Clipper
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John
See User information
Let me start by saying great site. I've been looking around and lots of good info. I very new to the whole Packard thing. I just bought a 55 two door hard top Clipper. I plan to do a mild custom with it. Nothing stupid no chops, crazy flaked paint job or 20 inch wheels just the simple stuff. I want to keep the car as close to stock. I had a few people tell me the auto trans in these can be a real pain. Is this ture? I plan to drive this thing alot. I havn't found alot of info on horsepower and torque. I don't know what cubic inch my motor is. I guess we'll start with those easy question. I'll have a ton more but any help would be great.
Thanks
John

Attach file:

jpg  (17.71 KB)
119_4593448437a01.jpg 400X300 px

Posted on: 2006/12/27 23:14
 Top  Print   

Re: Need info on 55 Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Welcome, John -

I think you'll find this Forum to your liking as well, but keep in mind that we're just getting started here. Several users from the Packard Club and AACA Packard Forums have chimed-in and I expect more to come.

The Twin Ultramatic is considered a problem by some only because it is so much different than other automatics. A good place to start is with a download of the three-volume set on Ultramatics - and be sure to follow the bulletins for adjustments.

You should also take a look at updates and services that Peter Fitch has to offer at:

http://www.ultramaticdynamics.com/

Any weakness in clutch packs have been addressed by the use of more modern material than what was available 50 years ago. BTW, a fellow in Kansas recently resurrected a '56 Patrician from a field that had been fitted years ago with a '55 Twin Ultra, and with nothing more than a fluid change or two, it is a reliable daily driver.

The Twin and Gear Start versions of the Ultramatic only had two-speed forward speeds, but with automatic upshift from Low to High gear. The torque characteristics of the Packard V8 and torque multiplication of the converter are so good that you can actually start out in High gear - unless you are on a hill (which would benefit from use of Low gear).

The torque converters in all Ultramtics also feature a Direct Drive clutch; the Big Three wouldn't have a lock-up converter until a couple of decades later. The novice misinterprets the engagement of that clutch as a shift into third gear, when there is no such thing - not needed.

Thanks for the pic of your car (looks pretty solid), but I can't tell whether it's a Super Panama or Custom Constellation from this angle. Your '55 Clipper has a 352-cid motor, but you need to know the first four digits of serial number to find out more.

Detailed specifications on your car can be found in the shop manual, which is now available for download, but I am working on some specs and general model info on the '55 and '56 cars for display at this site in the very near future.

You should join the Packard V8 Club, too (also FREE):

http://www.1956packardpanther.com/PV8C_Index.html

They have some interesting info on performance, but available to registered members only.

Hope this helps. Come back with more specific questions as they crop up, and someone here will have an asnwer, but be patient for the reply.

Posted on: 2006/12/28 0:13
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John
See User information
Thanks for the info Brian. I checked out the v8 Packard site and applied to be a member. That looks like the kind of info I need there. As time goes on I post some updates on my project here for you guys.
Later
John

Posted on: 2006/12/28 23:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
BTW, a fellow in Kansas recently resurrected a '56 Patrician from a field that had been fitted years ago with a '55 Twin Ultra, and with nothing more than a fluid change or two, it is a reliable daily driver.

That fellow would be me. And yes, all I've done to the trans was put in a new converter to pump seal, fill it full of fluid, changed it a couple of times, cleaned out the trans screen inside the pan after I put 6000 miles on it, then finally filled it up with B&M Trick Shift. Since then, I still have a direct clutch grind, but not near as bad as before. The problem with my direct clutch is that the friction material has hardened, and isn't gripping sufficiently. That's the only problem I have with the trans, and if you just simply let off the gas a little, it goes right in.

Now, as to the rest of the story on this trans, yes, it's a 1955 model with the cast iron center. The real neat thing about this is, that it sat un-driven and in a field for over 40 years! I started driving it on a daily basis in August of '05, and I've put over 13000 miles on it since then, and it's only let me down once, and that was New Years day of '06. (It was the crankshaft key that's described on the Packard V8 Club website) All in all, she's been a damn dependable car for sitting in a field for that long with no one to care for her.

Eventually, I plan to make a four door Caribbean out of her, to show a "what if" idea that could have happened in '56 if Packard had more money. The only difference engine wise will be that the Carib's had a dual 4 barrel setup and mine is already supercharged.

Eric

Posted on: 2006/12/29 8:50
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John
See User information
Eric, I've read afew of your posts here and on the other forms pages. I'm digging the SN60 upgrade I might have to use that one. My Packard V8 isn't going to be as fast as what I used to so any little bit will help.
I'm hoping to get lucky with my car its been sitting since 1999 and was last on the road in 1971. I guy I'm getting it from told me he drove it in and had it reedy for the road in 99. He stoped working on it when part of his barn fell on the roof. There is a dent the size of my hand in the roof. I don't know why that stopped him but I think his age might have something to do with it to.
I was reading somewhere that I might be able to id the motor by the paint color on the block if so its red ( maybe 320) I know I need the vin number to really know but though I might ask what you guys think. I won't get the home for afew more week still paying for it, but I plan in my head all the things I want to do.
I've also found two more Packards my father inlaw was telling his friends about my Clipper. Come to find out this guys has two 56's one two door and other a four. My wife is going to kill me if one car turns in to three.

Posted on: 2007/1/6 23:35
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John
See User information
Just a quick update: after waiting months I got me Packard home. I stopped on the way home at a car wash and cleaned the 20+ years of dirt off her. I cleaned out the inside two bags of trash. When I cleaned outthe trunk I found a set of fender skrits. Now I have two sets. I did get it to crank over. I do have some questions for you guys. Could someone explain when to use the drive "D" high and low? Also the +ground my car had a battery in it hooked up +positive. What else should I look for to make sure its changed over from +ground?

Attach file:

jpg  (24.24 KB)
119_46106cff05cb2.jpg 400X300 px

Posted on: 2007/4/1 21:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
That cleaned up really nice. Good looking car you have there.

Posted on: 2007/4/1 21:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
That's a nice looking Clipper! The first thing I would do since it's not stuck is to put a little 10W30 down the spark plug holes so it isn't dry when you crank it over. I would say that you should be able to get it to start pretty easily. Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get an oil pan gasket and drop the pan to clean out the gunk that I'm sure is in the bottom of it. It will also give you a chance to look over the oil pump to see what version you have. After that, dump in some new oil, pour some gas down the carb, and see if she fires.

As for the "D" and the "H", I use "D" in the city and "H" on the highway, but there's guy's who will just use "H" all the time. It's kind of a personal preference, but in "H", you're only using the converter, and in "D" you're using the gears in the trans plus the converter. It doesn't really matter which way you go, but the trans will last longer if you use "H" more often. If you have any trouble and have a question, send me an e-mail and I'll give you my phone #, much to the chagrin of my wife! (she calls me the "Packard Man", and says that she's amazed at the # of people that call me to ask about Packards!)

Posted on: 2007/4/1 22:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard
See User information
Hello all,

For 26 years I have owned a ?55 Packard Clipper Custom sedan with twin ultramatic transmission.I needed to rebuilt it for 20 years ago and then many people told me I should not use it anymore or use some Ford or Chrysler auto trans.But I did rebuild the old one and it still runs perfect.Always so smooth

Posted on: 2007/4/10 5:12
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John
See User information
Well looking at this I realize I've had my Packard home about a month. Its still on the trailer but I did get it to run and go in gear. I rebuilt the carb and add new wires and a coil. The oil and trans fluid looked fresh and it had some new tune up parts on it. When it fired up I was pretty happy. Even it wife is digging it now but she keep asking went it can go get exhaust on it (there is none now). For me this is the best part of a new project. Now I need to clean out the shop so I can get inside. It needs brake work and little stuff but I hoping to have it road ready by the end of this summer. The info here is a big help. I took the numbers off the car and found out is a super panama. I think it must have the oddest colors. Teal and white paint with blue interior.

Posted on: 2007/5/3 22:12
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved