Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 212

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 13 »

Re: Packard TSB 56T-20 - Low Oil Pressure
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
RB writes:
"Please don't make statements that are obviously in error. Many other people have looked at Terrill pumps and Aller pumps over several years. To state that they haven't been examined is obviously wrong."

Ok. Now we know. Thanks for the update.

But now, lets take a poll. How many OTHER people knew (not alleged) that there was a bronze bushhing in the Aller and Terril pumps BEFORE NOW???

Posted on: 2009/10/25 21:47
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
JV writes:
"I'm 99% sure the wear is caused by harmonics in the very long driveshaft caused by the loose-fitting-two-flat-drive-tangs. Most modern oil pumps, including the Oldsmobile, use a hex-drive which fits tighter and doesn't have the stop-start of the two flats. This oscillation works on the too-short bearing in the top of the oil pump body and wears it. When the oil level drops below the level of the top of the pump, it wears even more rapidly"

THEREFORE, any Packard V8 oil pump rebuild that closely resembles original factory specs will still be subject to the same premature wear and related problems that the pump had when it left the factory.

Posted on: 2009/10/25 22:01
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Jeez! Just buy a replacement pump that solves the problem. How hard is that to figure out?

Craig

Posted on: 2009/10/25 22:45
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
But now, lets take a poll. How many OTHER people knew (not alleged) that there was a bronze bushhing in the Aller and Terril pumps BEFORE NOW???

I had thought that was pretty common knowledge.

I'm 99% sure the wear is caused by harmonics in the very long driveshaft caused by the loose-fitting-two-flat-drive-tangs.

I think that's a very good analysis of the situation.

Posted on: 2009/10/26 8:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
FWIW, I've never evaluated a Terrell or Aller pump rebuild which had run sufficiently long to determine the suitability of a bronze bushing. However, when I was redesigning my version, I did some research and chose a longer bushing of hard cast iron of the same type used in diesel valve guides.

If someone were determined to keep his vacuum pump, I could reman an OEM pump which would work and last for only about twice the cost of the Olds conversion designed by the fine minds of this forum.

As Craig says, how hard is that to figure out?

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/10/26 10:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"I've never evaluated a Terrell or Aller pump rebuild which had run sufficiently long to determine the suitability of a bronze bushing."

Does the bronze bushing in tht Aller and terril pumps u've seen have an oil groove thru the length of the buhing???

Posted on: 2009/10/26 11:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Quote:

Jack Vines wrote:
FWIW, I've never evaluated a Terrell or Aller pump rebuild which had run sufficiently long to determine the suitability of a bronze bushing. However, when I was redesigning my version, I did some research and chose a longer bushing of hard cast iron of the same type used in diesel valve guides.

If someone were determined to keep his vacuum pump, I could remain an OEM pump which would work and last for only about twice the cost of the Olds conversion designed by the fine minds of this forum.

As Craig says, how hard is that to figure out?

thnx, jack vines

Jack: Now that you have about the cost of a reman oem oil pump would cost more than the Olds conversion. Could you please answer the following questions.

1. What would be the cost of a reman oem oil pump?
2. What are you charging for the Olds conversion oil pump kit?

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/10/26 13:02
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Could you please answer the following questions.

1. What would be the cost of a reman oem oil pump?
2. What are you charging for the Olds conversion oil pump kit?

<p>Here's the way I would answer while I was producing same, and the question that I was not asked: (1) $1,000, (2) $400. Jack can answer the question since he is now producing them.</p>
<p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2009/10/26 19:14
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jed Sheehan
See User information
I bought an oil pump adapter kit from Craig about a year and a half ago for my '56 400. I've used the car through two seasons of touring and it's got about 3500 miles on it and it's doing great! The lifter noise went away as soon as the Olds oil pump was installed and hasn't returned.

I had installed a rebuilt oil pump when I had my engine rebuilt. Unfortunately, it failed and I had to have the engine re-built a second time. I then installed an oil pump rebuilt by Bob Aller. It pumped oil with air bubbles mixed in it and I had HORRIBLE lifter noise. It sounded like the engine was trying to self-destruct. I sent the pump back to Bob who told me that there wasn't anything wrong with the oil pump. That's when I contacted Craig. After installing the Olds oil pump my oil pump problems are history.

Why mess around with an old Packard oil pump which is a known problem when you can install a new pump which works great? It cost me thousands to have my engine rebuilt twice!

Posted on: 2009/10/26 20:41
Jed
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
The only questions that I am asking are two, since both Jack and Craig brought up the question of cost.

1. What would be the price of reman oil pump

2. The biggest question is how much is Jack Vines going to charge for the Olds conversion.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/10/26 20:54
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 13 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved