Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 218

Packard Don, Charles, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Seatbelts?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
One saftey item I have installed is better headlights. My old eyes aren't the best when driving at night so I installed a set of Bosch H-4 halogen headlights using 6 volt halogen bulbs. The headlights really help with night vision. A 3rd brakelight is an item I want to install also. I have tried a couple from the local pick-a-part yard but using a 6 volt bulb in place of the 12 volt really doesn't do much for visibility so I plan on buying an LED 3rd brakelight. I also have radial tires and seat belts.

Posted on: 2009/10/31 11:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Hey Dan! No I still like the Clipper. In fact the more I do with her the more I appreciate the engineering that went into her. I've been spending a lot of time with her lately with the sick tranny and all, in fact my wife is getting a little jealous! I just thought y'all would like to see my other baby since the respray, hence the avatar change!

Dave, do you remember where you got the headlights? Hope your memory isn't as bad as your eyes!

Posted on: 2009/10/31 19:26
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Denny,
Just ribbin' you a bit.
Glad you still are enjoying your Clipper. (It is just that we had the only two Avatars of 41 Clippers).

I forgot you had the long 'tranny' repairs going on. You will have her on the tours in 2010, I am sure. (Did you do the respray? I suppose that was not a safety feature, Kevin)

KevinPackard,
Hope you got your thread question answered. Safety is about lots of things. A few of them are equipment.

Lights that are bright are safer. So line a tail light with aluminum foil. Or use a second bulb if you have room (as I did in my 41 Clipper).

Also my car had NO OUTSIDE Rear view mirrors. I only have a driverside one now (and it it too small). I have learned to drive safely with it, But would be at a loss if I had much lane changing to do in traffic of interstate.

DanL

Posted on: 2009/10/31 23:18
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
Dan, I added correct outside mirrors for safety too. I like the second bulb idea...never thought of it!
We have plans to go to Gettysburg next July. IF we go, we'll probably take the '41 IF I get the tranny working! No, I had an expert do the spraying, although I did the prep work.

Posted on: 2009/11/1 8:12
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks everyone. I believe I've got the information I was looking for on what safety features should be added: lapbelts, turn signals, outside mirrors, LED 3rd tail-light, extra bulbs on brakelights, and halogens on headlights. Quite the list!

Posted on: 2009/11/1 9:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Denny, I bought the lights at a local auto supply store Canadian Tire which of course you don't have in the US. The lights are Bosch but I am sure there are other brands such as Hella which sell them. The 6 volt bulbs were purchased from JC Whitney. I lined the rear bulb reflectors with a chrome tape and that made a difference. I have thought about running the rear lights through a relay which I did for the headlights although the 3rd b/l is probably a better idea since the light will be higher up on the body.

Posted on: 2009/11/1 9:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
KevinPackard,

Here is a photo that I mentioned yesterday.
It shows seatbelts and turn signal with flasher installation in my Clipper.
Good safety additions that, IMHO, do not detract from the car.

DanL

Attach file:

jpg  (115.00 KB)
464_4aee132439ec5.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/11/1 18:01
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved