Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (164 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 227

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Exhaust System Roundup
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Actually the bumper is not hanging down at all. The leading vertical edge of the bumper is parallel with that edge of the quarter panel. The top portion of the bumper that forms a tunnel is actually slanted downward and depending on your perspective may appear to be canted downward. I know because I mounted that bumper and Packard has cam bolts that allow for an up/down adjustment.

Posted on: 2009/12/5 23:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

randy berger wrote:
Actually the bumper is not hanging down at all... The top portion of the bumper that forms a tunnel is actually slanted downward and depending on your perspective may appear to be canted downward.

Randy,

I hear you on how the bumper around the exhaust outlet is actually canted slightly downward. But I do think that a lot of the seniors have a little "extra" downward slope, that I hope is not just my eyesight (though it could be).

For example, I see quite a difference in the Caribbean in the second picture you posted. Almost no gap between the leading edge of the bumper and the trailing edge of the fender.

The placement seems to be a compromise between having the bumper level and snug, AND protecting the backup light lenses from getting cracked from a slight contact or "bump" on a corner of the bumper. "Tilting" the top inward, raising the bumper height or fitting it a bit more snugly all bring that sharp metal edge close to making contact with the lens.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 20:38
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The placement seems to be a compromise between having the bumper level and snug, AND protecting the backup light lenses from getting cracked from a slight contact or "bump" on a corner of the bumper.

I don't think that's quite it. If impacted enough for the bumper to contact the tail lamp, it contacts the diecast metal frame at or near the base, not the lens.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 21:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
That's right Dave. If anyone usd a bumper jack on the rear, the bumper would take a chunk out of the diecast taillight on the inside. I have seen several that have had that bite taken out and that is expensive to repair.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 22:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:
I don't think that's quite it. If impacted enough for the bumper to contact the tail lamp, it contacts the diecast metal frame at or near the base, not the lens.

It's not the taillight lens that will get hit, it's the backup light lens. No protection from the inner edge of the top of the bumper.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 22:03
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's not the taillight lens that will get hit, it's the backup light lens

The upper lip of my bumper is below the lower edge of the backup light lens. Impact will be on the diecast, not the lens. Maybe your bumper is mounted to high? Do you need detailed photos of the bumper positioning?

Posted on: 2009/12/7 22:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:
The upper lip of my bumper is below the lower edge of the backup light lens.

If they're mounted exactly right, the lip is just a bit below the lens, I believe. However, being hit on the corner from behind would often be enough to lift the bumper. The pot metal casting, wouldn't take much to break, either.

I looked very carefully at this area on the '56 400 I inspected yesterday. I think the bumper was mounted exactly according to how it should be on both sides, and the upper lip of the bumper was just a touch below each of the backup light.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 22:27
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved