Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 232

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 1955 Caribbean Manual Trans.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
However, I think that 727 Torqueflite will outperform a manual transmission even when handled by an expert.

You might be right about that, the 727 is one of the best automatic transmissions ever made. I prefer manual transmissions though, as "real hot rods have three pedals".

Posted on: 2009/11/24 19:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:
Were there really only 3 '55 Caribbeans with manual transmissions?

I guess that question has not been resolved, but the film shows what may be the only V8 Packard with the rare, optional hood prop.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 19:46
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
the film shows what may be the only V8 Packard with the rare, optional hood prop.

I guess I'm missing something here, is there something particularly unusual about that hood prop rod on a 55 Caribbean? It looks to me just like the standard one called out in the parts book for use on the Caribbean, and I don't think I've ever seen one without it.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 20:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
All 55 Caribbeans had hood props due to the weight of the lead used in forming the "air scoops". The 56 hood was stamped out, not formed, and so it didn't need a hood prop.

Posted on: 2009/11/24 20:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Pardon me for being out of touch. I had never seen a Caribbean with the hood open. You paid all that money and had to prop up your own hood? Sounds a bit declasse'. Of course, if you had the wherewithal to own a Carib I suppose others did that underhood stuff for you. But if a mechanic was familiar with the counterbalanced hoods on most '55 Packards, wouldn't there be a risk that he didn't know he needed to prop the hood on the Carib, and get "sandwiched?" I don't have a parts book. Used to have a couple SASCO catalogs, but they went with the cars. Very nice drawings in them.

I believe the "formed" hoods on even the '55 Clipper models did not require a hood prop. Our Customs didn't, and neither did the 400.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 9:24
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Matter of fact, wasn't 1956 the only Caribbean that didn't use a hood prop rod?

Posted on: 2009/11/25 9:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"I believe the "formed" hoods on even the '55 Clipper models did not require a hood prop. Our Customs didn't, and neither did the 400."

55'Guy:
Go back and read Randy Bergers post directly above yours.

The 55 Carib hood SCOOPS (as i understand it) were SPECIALY FABRICATED and fitted to an otherwise NONCarib stock hood. REQUIREING alot of LEAD to install such scoops. That is to say that the 55 Carib was more or less a special custom made hood UNlike all other Packard or clipper models of 55-56. So the extra weight of the LEAD required the hood prop.

56 Carib hood scoops were stamped into the hood at the time the hood was stamped and thus NO LEAD. so THE 56 cARIB hood is lighter in weight thus no prop needed.

OR, to put it another way, of all of the 55-56 hoods only the 55 Carib hood contained lead makeing it heavy.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 10:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
That got me to wondering. Are the 55 hood scoops only sweated to the top of the hood or does the hood actualy have holes cut to accomodate the scoops.

Or to ask it another way, if i lift the 55 Carib hood will i see the bottom side of the sccop or the bottom side of the hood identicle to any other 55 hood.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 10:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Tim,

Sent you a PM re: the Tom Mix Caribbeans.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 20:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I should have been more encompassing in my answer. 1953, 54 and 55 Caribbeans all required a prop rod because all were custom-built hoods done with lead and the extra weight hanging out at the front of the hood was too much for the springs to hold. Owen is right, of course, and "plastic" tooling allowed Packard to produce the 1956 Caribbean hood. As far as I know, all 1951 thru 1956 convertible trunks were custom-built by sectioning a standard trunk lid. That is very evident by looking at the underside of a trunk lid.
We really shouldn't be discussing this as it hijacked the standard transmission thread and the "thread police" will arrive shortly.
Enjoy the Holiday and I hope you are fortunate enough to share it with family, as I am.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 20:43
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved