Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
254 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 253

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: removal of axle fill plug
Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Hope everyone had a great Christmas..

anyway with holidays over back to Packard town and filler plug..

just to recap..axle plug filler was on too tight..used a open end originally and and ended up rounding off the points on the plug..which i agree with everyone is 1/2 "
so i attempted to file flats on two sides and bring down to 7/16" to expose more flat area..In the process i got a set of 8 point sockets on ebay for 7 bucks...

Went under car and 1/2 was now too large...so I took the 7/16 and very carefully tapped it on head of plug. then I removed the Jack handle from my floor jack and slipped it on the rachet handle and very very slowly applied torque.

It work slick as snot.. cleaned thresds which were gummy both on plug and housing.

what brand or viscoscity to you guys use for drainning and refilling the rear end axles??? It calls for 5 pints on 1937 115c.

Posted on: 2009/12/27 16:03
 Top  Print   

Re: removal of axle fill plug
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You can use what Packard originally recommended, something like SAE 160 in summer and SAE90 in the winter, or you can use a modern multi-vis like SAE85W-140 year-round, it's available almost anywhere. Whatever you use, make sure it's an EP (extreme pressure) lube which is essential for hypoid gear sets.

Posted on: 2009/12/27 16:19
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved