Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 222

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: removal of axle fill plug
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Rusty, if they were still using the same plug in 1937 that they used in 1936 and back into the 20s, it's not a standard pipe plug. I'll post a scan of one here before the day is over.

UPDATE - OK Rusty, here's a couple of pictures. This unit or slight variations were used perhaps as late as the 1939 Seniors, way back into the 20s, and may also have found application on some Juniors though I don't recall any years and applications. It was variusly used as the oil pan drain plug on Eights & Super Eights (perhaps Twelves), transmission drain & refill, differential drain, and with a modification as the timing chain inspection plug on some 320 and 385 engines.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.74 KB)
177_4b0acafe467fd.jpg 892X540 px

jpg  (18.62 KB)
177_4b0acb0ec24e9.jpg 482X517 px

Posted on: 2009/11/23 12:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
If it is too chewed you can weld a nut onto it and take it out with a wrench. The heat of welding will loosen it up.

New pipe plugs are a dime a dozen at any hardware store.

Posted on: 2009/11/23 12:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I don't know what Packard used specifically. But standard rear axles from Spicer and others, as used in most cars, had pipe plugs. So did manual transmissions.

They have a tapered thread. The more you tighten them the harder they jam and the harder they are to take out. Often they were overtightened to stop leaks.This type plug has no gasket.

The kind with gaskets usually don't jam in that tight, in fact if someone over tightens them they strip out.

Posted on: 2009/11/23 12:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
All Junior Packards from 1935 on used standard 1/2" square head pipe plugs for fill and drain openings in the rear axle.

Posted on: 2009/11/23 12:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
All Junior Packards from 1935 on used standard 1/2" square head pipe plugs for fill and drain openings in the rear axle.

Thanks for the clarification.

Posted on: 2009/11/23 14:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
The plug on my transmission had the corners round off so yesterday a guy who is helping me take the tranny and motor out showed me an easier way if you are planning on replacing the plug. Take a chisel and 20 pound hammer and hit the outer ring of the plug with the chisel in the direction you want it to turn. Couple of pops and mine unloosened.

Posted on: 2009/11/23 19:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
thanks tbirdman,Owen D, Rusty, Appin and of course Turbo

you given me some idea s to try...will adv results in a day or so.

oh yeah..do you think there may be a seal leak..above the universal and axle houseing it was caked on dry oil which i scraping off with a putty knife plus the axle housing studs and nuts are wet was also scraping dried caked on oil above the universal the trunk floor underside area

Attach file:

jpg  (29.87 KB)
623_4b0b4c6f991e7.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/11/23 22:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Dried caked old grease is nothing to worry about. It indicates a slow leak that has accumulated over many years.

This is normal. Most rear axles and transmissions leak a little.

You should check that the vent is OK. If it gets clogged pressure will build up when the diff gets hot, causing a bad leak.

Other than that there is nothing to worry about. If you see a lot of fresh oil running or dripping out that's different.

Just change the lube and check it every year or 2.

Posted on: 2009/11/23 22:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
That is exactly the type of plug I was talking about removing with a socket wrench turned backwards.

If there is a clearance problem use a short extension on the plug then stick the socket on the extension.

Posted on: 2009/11/23 22:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
i must be dense...what do you mean by a socket wrench and turn backwards

Posted on: 2009/11/24 23:11
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved