Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 168

Sankie61, dallas, Stewart Ballard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

help with 41 clipper transmission
Just popping in
Just popping in

fatman2u
See User information
Does anyone know why the gears shift when the engine is not running but will not go into gear with the engine running? Car has not been moved in about three years. Pressure plate? Clutch? Any info will help.

Posted on: 2009/11/29 10:06
 Top  Print   

Re: help with 41 clipper transmission
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
If you put the car in gear while not running and then try to start it ,does the car lurch forward? If so your clutch plate is stuck to the flywheel. There are several methods to fix this situation if in fact that is what you have.

Posted on: 2009/11/29 10:38
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

fatman2u
See User information
I think so. I'll try again Monday but I believe this is the case. Any hints as how to free it up without taking every thing off?

Posted on: 2009/11/29 16:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Sometimes just bumping the starter with the car in gear will do it (in gear pedal depressed). I freed one up by using a putty knife around the edge of the clutch disk (pedal depressed).

Posted on: 2009/11/29 16:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
If the car is driveable drive it around with the pedal pushed down, maybe it will come free. A shot of brake kleen spray into the clutch helps free it up.

Otherwise as Phil says you can slip a knife blade in between the clutch plate and pressure plate and work it loose.

Jack up the car and prop the clutch pedal down with a stick between the dash board and clutch pedal. It's worth making a nice stick, you will need it later.

With the clutch pushed down pry the plate free with a knife or putty knife. Keep turning the engine until you get it all the way around.

It is surprising how little it takes to stick the clutch together. As soon as you start driving it should be good as new.

Here is why you save the stick. Next time you park the car put the stick back in there to hold the clutch down. That way it will not stick again even if you leave it sitting for 3 years.

Posted on: 2009/11/29 19:27
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

fatman2u
See User information
Thanks for all the info. Tried again today and believe high gear freeded itself. Will try starting engine and putting it in gear. The stick idea is so smart. Will let you know if it works.

Posted on: 2009/11/30 15:43
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved