Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 215

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: EtOH to 15%?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/12/2 21:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What would you rather do?

I'd rather set the politics aside and discuss the point on its basis in science while keeping an open mind.

Posted on: 2009/12/2 21:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/12/2 21:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken EPA has confirmed lesser mileage with 10% ethanol than without it.

This is what I have read as well. The reduction in milage has been well proven. My 1973 charger with it's 318 gets less milage burning ethanol by quite a bit. It doesn't seem to have the power either it had when it was running on the old fuel with out ethanol.

Posted on: 2009/12/2 23:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
if you build the engine specifically for Ethanol, you will get closer to the mileage that you had before Ethanol

Don't believe this is really true. You can't get more energy than exists in the fuel to start with. Lower energy means you will have to burn more fuel to do the same work. If you can do some magical thing to an engine to optimize its power output for one fuel you can do it for another. It all boils down to the fact that you can't get something for nothing. People have been trying to do that for a long time with no success. Brings to mind the hydrogen generators hooked to the electrical system of a car. That doesn't work either. The truth of that one is the milage goes down as well.

Posted on: 2009/12/2 23:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
The new study, co-sponsored by the US Department of Energy and the American Coalition for Ethanol (ACE),

This is a quote from the fuel economy report sited by Eric. I'm not surprised at who the sponsors were. Of corse they will say this. What would you expect?

Posted on: 2009/12/2 23:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information

Posted on: 2009/12/3 2:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
For John Q. Pubic the ultimate problem with ANY "alternative" fuels/power sources is the cost and INconvenience of constant change. Change that comes too fast and too frequently.

Such constant and frequent change exists only as an attempt by Big Money to obsolesce what we have already bought and are responsible for.

I want to drive and maintane a car. NOT constantly change it's design or constantly change maintenance schedules.

The problem here is not environmental, political or even technical. The problem here is what is all of this fuel change/alternatives fuels going to COST ME!!!!!

LEts get with SOMETHING and stay with it!!!!

Posted on: 2009/12/3 9:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
burning a gallon of ethanol releases less energy than burning a gallon of gasoline - that's the thermodynamics, it has nothing to do with the design of the engine.

Posted on: 2009/12/3 9:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Owen and bkazmer are correct. Based on my less than professional and certainly amatuer experience, an alcohol only engine will run about 40% less fuel mileage than gasoline only. Alcohol was widely used in racing at one time.

Another albeit minor safety problem with alcohol is that when it burns it is an INVISIBLE flame.

I'm not for nor against using alcohol as a fuel. Lets just get something and STAY WITH IT!!!

The idea is to reach some level of a fuel source STABILITY and standard that is adhered to LONG TERM. Stability and standard is something the US has simply not had for 10 years now andis the root source of many of our wide sweeping problems.

Posted on: 2009/12/3 10:37
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved