Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 117

Ernie Vitucci, DM37, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rear Gravel to Bumper rubber strip 22nd Series
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Once more going through the Steele Rubber Catalogue I have hit a snag as I do not understand what a "Rear Gravel to Bumper" rubber strip is or where it fits - also do I need one ? My car does not seem to have any rubber stripping at the rear anywhere near the bumper - HELP !!

Best regards Michael

Attach file:

jpg  (47.32 KB)
1329_4b179d930fb09.jpg 423X317 px

Posted on: 2009/12/3 6:14
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear Gravel to Bumper rubber strip 22nd Series
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe it may refer to the rear gravel shield which in your car is mostly concealed by the rear bumper; if I remember right the shield runs pretty much the width of the rear of the car and the bumper prevents metal to metal contact inside the bumper.

Could be wrong, but that's my reoollection

Posted on: 2009/12/3 9:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
That's what it is on my 56. I made mine out of masticated rubber and made stainless staples to hold it on through the original staple holes.

Posted on: 2009/12/3 9:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
There is a metal gravel shield between the body and the rear bumper which has a rubber seal at the back and on top to close the gap between the shield and the bumper. It's hard to see with the bumper on the car.
The seal on 22nd Series cars is L shaped and stapled to the shield. The parts book shows a different seal for the 23rd Series which might be what Steele is offering.
I would just try to find a universal type L shaped strip and use that rather than pay the high price for the Steele part.

Posted on: 2009/12/4 0:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks to all you Guys - it is what I thought it was - but had to check as we do not use the term "Gravel Guard" over here in the U.K. I too think best to buy some appropriate "U" shape rubber and bond it into place.

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2009/12/5 7:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi Michael

Interesting to see the old 'Transvaal' province number plate still on your car! Something from the old South Africa!

It will be much cheaper to make your own rubber strip and as it is out of sight it will be easy.

I wonder, you still have your 'spat plates-British' or 'fender skirts-American' on the car? Is there also a rubber strip between that and the body? I need to refit mine and there is nothing left there.

Greetings
Barrie

Posted on: 2009/12/8 13:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

africapackard wrote:

I wonder, you still have your 'spat plates-British' or 'fender skirts-American' on the car? Is there also a rubber strip between that and the body? I need to refit mine and there is nothing left there.

Greetings
Barrie

The original material used for a seal on the fender skirts was called hood lace. It was riveted on and is a woven material, 3/4" wide by 1/8" thick.
Available from Restoration Specialties.

Attach file:

jpg  (71.44 KB)
1137_4b1ece07ddf0f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (69.68 KB)
1137_4b1ece30eb068.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/12/8 17:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Checked out mine and of course there is nothing left to see.

I assume that it did have a seal of some sort to stop dirt and water coming through the gap

Michael

Posted on: 2009/12/19 20:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
May I respectfully suggest you get the 1/16th" thick as the skirts from 48 to 56 are basically the same and the 1/8th was too thick on my 56.

Posted on: 2009/12/19 21:53
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved