Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Packard Wives: Nature or Nurture?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kacarlson
See User information
How long did it take your wife to appreciate your car? I've been married for 6 years now and my wife has yet to come around to be what I would call a Packard wife. I'd had a '37 115C for 9-years when we were married and she never rode in it because it didn't have A/C. I sold that car to build my barn to house all the other "toys" a bachelor is required by law to own. My parents went all over in their Packard together, my mom had '40's hats and embroidered towels mad up. I got my dad's '46 this summer and have put a lot of time into it getting it back into running shape. My wife complains that every time you turn around, there's something going wrong with "those old cars". Hard to argue with that, there's always something that needs attention and every time I turn around I learn something new that I should have been doing. So can the appreciation for old cars be developed over time or is she missing some 'old car gene' and the most I'll ever get out of her is a grudging tolerance?

Posted on: 2009/12/7 9:32
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Wives: Nature or Nurture?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
When u're out in the shop working on the car SHE KNOWS where u are. Do her friends know where their husbands are???

There's alot that can be said about these 'special other' issues but i'll stop here for now.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 10:30
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
When dating my wife, we went out one with a friend of mine in his 1940 180. She absolutely loved everything about the car. For the next 20 years, she wanted a similar pre-war Packard. She finally got her wish for Christmas 3 years ago. It was a running driving car that I spent the next year making run and drive. I was as thrilled about it as your wife is about your car(s) after discovering what a fragile piece of engineering I now had on my hands. My thinking was this is her car, so I had her out there passing me tools and doing small tasks that in some way would contribute to progress. When at the PI swap meet, she found some pieces that were cosmetic, yet needed items that she insisted on buying.

The good news is the car has been sorted out and dead reliable for the last 2 years, and she proudly let's everyone know about "her" Packard. We have various other collector cars, but this is her classic car. I have a feeling it will be around for a while if she has anything to say about it.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 10:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
When it comes to women a man must always kep the following in mind:

Proverbs 27:15 and Proverbs 21:19.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 10:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
My wife really started to appreciate My Packard when she started storing her empty canning jar boxes on top of it last winter.

Posted on: 2009/12/7 11:06
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kacarlson
See User information
That's a riot!!!

Yeah, she always knows where I am but even still she wants an intercom in the barn so she can call me. A man has to draw the line somewhere. Next thing you know I'd be wearing the baby monitor. Maybe I can get her her own car WITH A/C, that's not a bad idea. Didn't the '50's have that?

To mention Proverbs like that to a wife, a man would have to have a harem of wives so he'd have better odds at having a few left when the dust finally settles.

WWJD What would Jesus drive?

Posted on: 2009/12/7 11:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Quote:

....... Maybe I can get her her own car WITH A/C, that's not a bad idea. Didn't the '50's have that? ........

39 was the first year with A/C

Posted on: 2009/12/7 11:53
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
AC was offered in these years I believe. Why it took them so long to offer it again after WWII I have no idea.

1939-1942

and

1953-1958

Posted on: 2009/12/7 12:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kacarlson
See User information
Hmmm, good question, maybe it was more a matter of available Horsepower than the state of the refrigeration technology. My I-6 only had about 100-HP I don't think the I-8 had much more than that. I can't imagine what a compressor would have done to the performance. When was the first V-8, 1955?

Posted on: 2009/12/7 12:40
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kacarlson
See User information
Wow, now THAT'S what I call Ho's power.

Our ladies of speed indeed!!!

Posted on: 2009/12/7 14:06
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved