Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 211

Don B, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

This day in Packard History January 4 1955
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
January 4, 1955

New Packards roll out
The 1955 Packards were introduced to the public on this day. Corvettes and Thunderbirds were upping the horsepower ante, and Packard struck back with the Packard Caribbean, the first V-8 Packard and the debut of highly stylized cathedral taillights. The era of the mighty tailfin was beginning.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dB4qiqpePXQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dB4qiqpePXQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

(Yes, I know this is a '56 executive, closest I could find)

Posted on: 2010/1/5 18:27
 Top  Print   

Re: This day in Packard History January 4 1955
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
What a strange coincidence! I made a post in the V-8 forum asking what model '55 was the first production V-8 Packard just the other day!....

Posted on: 2010/1/6 21:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I'm a little shocked that the 55s did not debut in the fall like every other car. This can't have been good for sales.

Posted on: 2010/1/7 7:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
Quote:

Rusty O\'Toole wrote:
I'm a little shocked that the 55s did not debut in the fall like every other car. This can't have been good for sales.

If I recall my Packard history correctly, they were SUPPOSED to, but there were a lot of bugs needing worked out, what with all the engineering changes and getting the Conner Ave. plant going, etc...

Posted on: 2010/1/7 9:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm with MIDan. When you think about how they stopped production of the 54's and whatever was being built at Briggs in late summer then essentially picked up the factory and moved it across town to start making a reasonably different model boggles the mind. That they were able to get anything out even by January is impressive. Wonder if any of the mfgs today could do that.

Posted on: 2010/1/7 9:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
The 1955 models were late to the showrooms due to the problems and complexities of starting up the Connor plant.
The AQ/Kimes/et al book states that the first cars rolled off the lines on Nov. 1st, 1954. I wonder if the January 4th date was when the publicity machine at Packard was finally ready to begin the new model Ballyhoo. November 1st would have been almost three months later than the competition began their production of the next-year model (back then).

Posted on: 2010/1/7 9:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
To have cars in November after that move is even more impressive. It's no wonder they built a few clinkers.

Posted on: 2010/1/7 9:55
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved