Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 216

Pack120c, Leeedy, Charles, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: 1956 Packard (maybe 1955?) questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
It should be noted that one of our members, Turbopackman, had a 1956 Patrician with push buttton that had been refitted with an Ultramtic from a 1955 model, yet they managed to retain the push button control. So, it might be possible to refit a 55th Series car with pushbutton, using all the related parts from a 56th Series donor, but I've never seen one. Too often, I've seen '56 models converted back to a lever on the column, which is a shame, IMHO.

It would be a fairly easy conversion either way. There is no appreciable difference between the two years other than a linkage change in early 55 to help eliminate one of the sticking in park problems. Shift quadrant spacing is the same although the indicators are different so the electric assy would work. There is a small difference in the upper steering column internals where the PB arm assy mounts which can be modified but as you mentioned, most parts from a PB donor need to be found.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 11:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
It would be a fairly easy conversion either way. There is no appreciable difference between the two years other than a linkage change in early 55 to help eliminate one of the sticking in park problems. Shift quadrant spacing is the same although the ind,icators are different so the electric assy would work. There is a small difference in the upper steering column internals where the PB arm assy mounts which can be modified but as you mentioned, most parts from a PB donor need to be found.

I think you could put it on the earlier Ultras as well, all the way back to the first year. As long as the mounting points are there it should work and as long as the quadrant is similar it can be made to work. You'd have to convert to 12V though, LOL!

Posted on: 2010/1/13 11:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Are there any throttle plates associated with F-I? On the B&W photo with round something there appears to be some linkage but see nothing on the Exec--or is it just not installed yet.

There is a link between the RH end of throttle valve rod and the solenoid/valve-thing in the RH cylinder head, but if you look closely below the bundle of spark plug wires, upstream of the ignition wire support, you can see the accelerator/throttle valve linkage.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 11:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Of course there is, how else would you control the engine?

That's what I'm asking on those mechanical units. How is speed controlled. Modern units all use a computer for the most part but since that really wasn't an option then were those by amount of air admitted via butterflys or did the linkage go to the pump to increase gas to injectors or both?

Posted on: 2010/1/13 11:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Eric -

Yes, the pump is diiferent, and I was in process of editing my original post as you were writing yours, but beat me to it.

I also expanded on the possible substitution of alternate parts - though I am no expert on the evolution of early FI.

However, the pump you are showing doesn't appear to be a "plug-in" type - no provision for driving the distributor. It looks more like some sort of belt-driven pump.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 11:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
On most of the systems I've looked at, the fuel is controlled by the speed of the engine, and the speed of the engine is controlled by the throttle body.

Think of it this way, when you accelerate your engine, the rotor inside the distributor turns faster. A fuel distributor that's driven off the cam is exactly the same way, more speed equals more fuel pressure, and therefore, more fuel. A Bosch mechanical fuel injector operates off of pressure, more pressure=more flow. Once you get to looking at it, it's a stupidly simple system, and makes a carburetor look complicated.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 11:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
However, the pump you are showing doesn't appear to be a "plug-in" type - no provision for driving the distributor. It looks more like some sort of belt-driven pump.

That's what makes me think that there's a custom made "V" drive under that FI pump that drives it AND the distributor. I need better pics to be sure, but that's what my gut instinct tells me, hence the distributor laying over at an angle like a Y Block Ford.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 11:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I think you could put it on the earlier Ultras as well, all the way back to the first year. As long as the mounting points are there it should work and as long as the quadrant is similar it can be made to work. You'd have to convert to 12V though, LOL!

That one might be an issue. It could probably be made to mount but aside from the uproar over the 12v conversion the early quadrants had 5 positions and TwinU's had 6. Mr PB would have to expand his business to making finger blocks as well as fingers.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 11:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Eric -

I believe the housing of the pumps used in both the system shown in the SIA pic and on the Branson car is designed like a "wye" in plumbing. The pump drops into the block in place of the distributor, and is driven off the cam. The distributor then drops into an opening along the RH side of the pump housing and is driven off the pump. I suspect that, in such small space, the driving force is transmitted entirely through a geared connection.

Since timing of the squirt of fuel is just as critical as the spark of ignition, I have to wonder if Packard abandoned the front-mounted pump driven by a cog belt (off the crank pulley) in favor of this system, which might have offered greater precison/reliability of timing due to the use of gears.

BTW, after finding out who owned the car with the FI system shown at Branson, I would now say that the system on that car is the original prototype system reinstalled, but with some substitute parts and minor modifications. It's a pity that they couldn't fix and use the original pump.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 12:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
That's all you'd have to do electrically, is make a new finger block for the proper positions.

As for the uproar over the 12V conversion, f 'em.

Posted on: 2010/1/13 12:05
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved