Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 203

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Lubing 55-56 Torsion-Level
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
This is NOT a thread about the merits/demerits of a T-L Packard, but rather experiences (both personal and public) related to lubricating said chassis.

I've had a few physical problems lately and did not feel like jacking up my 55 Pat and doing a needed oil/filter change and chassis lube. So, I took it to the local "Grease Monkey" franchise instead. First, I went to NAPA to get an oil filter (NAPA 1006) since I was pretty sure that shop would not have one. BTW, my cost on that filter was $12.70 even though I get a preferred discount and that filter also fits 55-57 Chebbie.

Anyway, the shiny-faced young guy at "Grease Monkey" greets me and asks: "1954 or 1955?". I thought that was pretty good until he admitted he did not know what a Packard was or even how to spell it! So, he quotes me $30 for 5 qt of 10W-30 minus $2 since I have my own filter (which of course is more than $2) and the lube job is <b>FREE!</b> Ha, ha on him since that's where I get 'em. Then I hand him a copy of the lube chart on page 4 of the Lubrication section of the Packard Service Manual. "Make sure your guy gets all the zerks," I tell him. I had marked 28 of them on that chart, which includes the non-T/L steering components.

It took about 1/2 hour for the service, but that was OK since I could sit warmly inside and eat my lunch, which I had brought with. Of course I got questions and comments from other patrons during that time, which I cheerfully answered. When completed, I was pleased to pay the $30.06 final bill knowing I got my money's worth. IMO, that is better than laying on the cold concrete floor of my garage and then having to deal with the used oil disposal.

Posted on: 2010/1/16 15:33
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Re: Lubing 55-56 Torsion-Level
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The question is, did they do ALL of the lube points, or just yank yer chain?

Posted on: 2010/1/16 16:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
The question is, did they do ALL of the lube points, or just yank yer chain?

<p>Well, you never know that do you? My 55 Pat seemed to ride more smoothly as if the lube job did some good.</p>
<p>Craig</p>

Posted on: 2010/1/16 18:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Most lube service is a waste of time.

Petroleum company research concluded that the number one cause of premature chassis component failure was improper lubrication service. Thus, they developed sealed components.

The major area of concern was failure to clean fittings prior to service.

The second area was that greasing actually exposed wearing surfaces to contamination via disturbance of dirt inside the components.

A third area is leakage which prevents grease from reaching all of the components - especially with regard to king pins.

Next, the vehicle wheels should be off the ground during greasing.

Finally, those fittings that don't accept lubricant have to be repaired.

Now the kicker here is that simply not greasing the vehicle is probably better than doing the job wrong which is how these flat rate dealers get away with the so-called free lube job. The preponderance of science has demonstrated that not greasing the vehicle may actually be beneficial.

This all makes the Bijur system look pretty good on paper except that it only worked for a few years and then broke.

If you are having trouble greasing your car at home the type of grease is also important. For seasonal manual greasing Pennzoil 705 has enough pumpability for a good hand gun and will work for everything on a Packard except U-joints which require an EP additive and wheel bearings which benefit from (GC ratings). Long life and multi-purpose (GC-LB) greases are great in a pressure fed grease gun, but those require either an air supply or a large cash outlay for an electric unit.

Finally, that wonderful show chassis with the sandblast and steam cleaning is a mechanical disaster area because all that dirt and water gets into the components and causes wear and rust.

If you need to clean away years of accumulated grease use a scraper, rags, and a wire brush.

I recently greased a 56 and the rear torsion pivots had never (and I mean never) been greased since the Packard dealers closed.

Take it from me, I do a lot of grease jobs and run into a lot of problems that can only be remedied via TandM.

Posted on: 2010/1/16 23:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Tim Cole wrote Quote:
Most lube service is a waste of time. (snip)

<p>OK, why don't you come over to my place and lube my Pat? I'll buy lunch.
</p>
<p>
Craig
</p>

Posted on: 2010/1/17 0:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The issue here is the how to do a grease job that is beneficial. The issue is that such is not achieved given the TandM being employed and the price charged. If your interest in the topic is that of calling me a grease monkey then continue to believe whatever you wish. I just don't think it is a good idea to cut corners on servicing vehicles for which there is no factory support.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 19:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Tim Cole wrote Quote:
(snip)If your interest in the topic is that of calling me a grease monkey (snip)

Some people just do not have a sense of humor.

To be clear, I think your points about proper lubrication of a Packard T/L chassis are well taken.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/1/23 19:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I know exactly how you feel Tim, trying to help people and getting dogged for it.

Posted on: 2010/1/23 20:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved