Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 81

todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: '56 V8 production vs serial #s
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It would seem unlikely that they'd build the higher vehicle number cars first and the first cars last, wouldn't it? Especially since they decided to build the last 26 Caribbean convertibles in April 56, well after some or all of the first 250 were built. I suppose anything is possible but that seems a bit of a stretch. Also the very late cars have very late transmission numbers. If only more data were forthcoming.

Another thing that contradicts that idea is that the gold mesh behind the grille came along sometime after early 56 production had begun, and the earliest 40 or so Caribbean convertibles have the silver finish mesh.

Posted on: 2010/2/17 15:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Not at all unlikely. But the high transmission numbers seem to contradict the possibility of the higher VN cars built first.

Posted on: 2010/2/17 15:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The decision to build the last 26 came very late, it's been said that they dipped into the crash-parts inventory of hoods and windshields and other Caribbean-unique parts to make the last 26, so you could rationalize that they also dipped into the engines reserved for service parts. Defies the definition of serial number, doesn't it, starting at the end and working towards the beginning?

Thanks for the notion, but I don't think it can be supported.

Now if you were thinking about the body serial numbers and not vehicle numbers, that's another entire case because there is a lot of evidence that "first-in, first-out" inventory control wasn't practiced much if at all in 55/56; the last bodies built and put into inventory in the white could easily have been the first to be pulled out for use.

Posted on: 2010/2/17 15:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
So then were the last 26 Carib convertibles built in April of 56 built concurrently while other models were built too or had all other production ceased prior to the last 26 Carib Convertibles???

Posted on: 2010/2/17 15:59
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Production line shut down in June, I forget the exact date but it's well know. My Carib, one of the last 26, was shipped to the dealer on June 6th if I remember correctly. The inside of the leather seat pockets have an April date.

56executive who has the shipping orders/build slips could go thru them and provide a lot of information if he were so inclined. Shipping date versus vehicle # would be particularly interesting.

Posted on: 2010/2/17 16:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"My Carib, one of the last 26, was shipped to the dealer on June 6th if I remember correctly."

Since the last 26 were built April time frame or even April/May time frame i would think that all 26 could have been built in 30 days. Say by May 15th. If that speculation is true then waiting until June to ship seems like a long time to have a car setting around in the marshalling yard.

Posted on: 2010/2/17 16:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
the date stamped on the Car Production orders are
1258 JUNE 13 1956
1259 JUNE 12 1956
1260 JUNE 13 1956
1261 JUNE 13 1956
1262 JUNE 18 1956
1263 JUNE 20 1956
1264 JUNE 18 1956
1265 JUNE 20 1956
1266 MISSING
1267 JUNE 18 1956 FLEET SALE CUSTOMER FACTORY DELIVERY
1268 MISSING
1269 MISSING
1270 JUNE 21 1956
1271 JUNE 20 1956
1272 JUNE 22 1956
1273 MISSING
1274 MISSING
1275 JUNE 26 1956
1276 JUNE 20 1956 CUSTOMER FACTORY DELIVERY INSTALL PA-469482 MIRROR LEFT PAINT MES TO MTM TRIM 92 TO 90 AC FD LS ADDED

Posted on: 2010/2/17 19:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks 56executive for digging that out for us, it's good useful data. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the date stamped on the Shipping Order is probably the date shipped, not necessarily the date of actual production? Though I guess with plant closure imminent, they dates were probably very close together?

Do you also share my feeling that many of the Caribbean-unique parts for the last 26 probably came from parts initially reserved for parts inventory?

Posted on: 2010/2/17 20:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Many thanks to Owen and 56Executive for the discussion.

In view of 56T-20 may 3rd 56:
Can we assume the early engines in the last 26 Caribs had engine numbers stamped at the REAR of the block??? NOT stamped at the front near the oil fill tube.

Posted on: 2010/2/17 20:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Can we assume the early engines in the last 26 Caribs had engine numbers stamped at the REAR of the block??? NOT stamped at the front near the oil fill tube.

First, that's not a good assumption. I only know that mine has an early Utica engine#, and I do know it's the original engine. I don't have any data on the other late cars.

Second, when I speak of engine #, I'm not speaking of the vehicle number which is usually stamped by the oil filler tube. I'm speaking of the Utica plant engine #. Mine has the Utica# at the rear, and vehicle# at the front, as do most but not all the 55/56 cars.

Yes, this has been a pretty enlightening exchange, hasn't it? I'm just fishing for the nominal date that the plant closed to put those last few Caribbean shipping order dates into perspective. It's hard enough to try to get a grip on this subject with just a low volume model like the 5699, to try to put the entire product line in perspective would be beyond anyone but the most dedicated researcher, and that ain't me.

Posted on: 2010/2/17 20:44
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved