Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 207

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

V8 Model Production Figures
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
I don't know the originating source of these figures but they have been used for years without much question as far as I know. Perhaps they were verified from factory records, or from the build slips. They agree with figures in other sources, though of course they might all have the same origin. There are similar charts for most postwar cars in the appendeces in Nat Dawes book. This particular page comes from the 55/56 Service Counselor reprint. Hope this helps.

Agreed, they might have the same sources, and could possibly be traced back to a single source of questionable reliability. That's how this stuff gets started. Someone makes a list based on guesstimates or what they've heard and it others pick it up until it's "agreed" that it must be right--it's been copied everywhere.

It is telling that a well-researched book that used many original sources available only from Packard was not able to locate reliable production figures by modes for 1954-56. Makes you wonder what special information the other list-makers relied upon.

Without verifiable sources, the Packard V8 production by model is still a mystery.

Build sheets only give counts for whatever cars build sheets can be located. They might indicate minimum numbers, but never a verifiable total count. Only factory records could do that, and they very well might not exist.

Posted on: 2010/2/18 21:27
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Re: V8 Model Production Figures
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, and no. We now know thanks to 56executive that the chart I posted (with corrections pointed out by him) was derived from an internal Packard record and that document still exists, so I don't really think there is any mystery about the V8 production by year and model.

Now prewar is an entirely different matter because they didn't keep production records by body/chassis type; the only way there is to know how many of a particular model were made is those years is by whatever the highest known production sequence # (second part of the VN, minus the null) that has been found.

Build sheets only give counts for whatever cars build sheets can be located.

That's not true as long as the cars were numbered in sequence, if the only 56 Patrician build slip that existed was for 5682-4775, would that mean that only one Patrician was made? Of course not. Subtract 1000 from that, and the # of Patricians should be 3775.

Posted on: 2010/2/18 21:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Here are some production figures for V8's that Owen provided from a source. Any others could be posted here and some comparisons made, and discussion about independent verification.

Attach file:

jpg  (122.13 KB)
917_4b7df94e9ddf2.jpg 1166X1175 px

Posted on: 2010/2/18 21:37
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Yes, and no.

Well, I'm trying to get to "yes."

Posted on: 2010/2/18 21:39
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Nuff said. Continue to believe it's a mystery if you wish.

Posted on: 2010/2/18 21:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
this is my source for production figures it was current up to 1957 ending with the totals for 1956 Production

Attach file:

jpg  (82.43 KB)
1052_4b7dfea0940dc.jpg 930X1280 px

jpg  (41.27 KB)
1052_4b7dfeae34482.jpg 930X1280 px

jpg  (82.27 KB)
1052_4b7dfec0cb57c.jpg 930X1280 px

Posted on: 2010/2/18 22:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks 56executive. I've always assumed that a record of that type was the basis for the appendix in the Turnquist book, do you know if that's correct?

Posted on: 2010/2/18 22:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
I do not know

Posted on: 2010/2/18 22:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
from Encyclopedia of American Cars 1930-1980 Richard M Langsworth.

From list in post#3 above:
"Clipper Sedan Touring Sedan 1784"

Is listed in Langsworth as:
"Executive Sedan 4 dr 1784"

From list in post#3 above:
"Packard Executive 2dr HT & Sedan 1031".

listed in Langsworth as
"Executive Hard top 1031".

Posted on: 2010/2/18 22:21
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
edit: condensed into post #9 above

Posted on: 2010/2/18 22:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved