Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 208

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

5587 Leaks !!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
I need some assistance with some leaks please. For the last (2) weekends I've been wanting to fire the 400 but, I can't stop a couple of leaks. Despite several attempts, no less than (3) each side, I continue to get leaks from the rear of the heads where the cross-shafts are affixed. (I've attached a pic from an old head I have in the shop for illustrative purposes)

As 55-56 owners are aware, on the driver's side the temperature senor is affixed and on the passenger side there is a water outlet, that feeds the heater core(s).

Thoughts appreciated.

Attach file:

jpg  (103.99 KB)
20_4b8204ff60c10.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/2/21 23:18
 Top  Print   

Re: 5587 Leaks !!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Kevin, I've had the engine out of my 400 (and the Carib) and had the heads out of the 400 on a separate occasion. I never had a problem with leaks at those locations.
Dumb question - you do have the gaskets for those in place?? They are the same gasket as used for the water manifold at the front of the engine.

Posted on: 2010/2/21 23:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Also never had any problems there. Might throw a straightedge across and make sure the bolt holes haven't been depressed or distorted so they are bottoming out before the actual plate is tight across the middle.

Posted on: 2010/2/21 23:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The bolts are 3/8-16 X 3/4 long. You may have too long a bolt there - again a dumb question.

Posted on: 2010/2/21 23:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Good points gentleman. Many thanks!

No apparent leaks after (24) hours now. The flange plates were not square, so the flanges were filed 'flat' with a hand file. Further, I placed a large flat washer underneath the locking washer and bolt. I thought I needed to also increase the 'footprint' so to speak and or expand downward pressure over more area to create a better seal. Well I think it worked as I brought it up to 9/10 lbs pressure and she held. And yes , I stood there for about 10 minutes looking upward and no green droplets were seen. Now being somewhat superstitious (murphy law), I'll be quite now and hope for the best.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 21:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Fired engine today and ran for 1/2 hour. Seems to be holding fine now.

Posted on: 2010/2/27 21:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved