Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
189 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 187

Don B, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Repacking Rear Axle Bearings
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
While the car is up and the wheel is off be sure the axle vent is clear. It's a 1/16" hole drilled in the left axle shaft housing, facing directly at the rear buMper and about 8 inches inboard of the backing plate.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 22:09
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
JP,

I am not sure of the climate you live in, but I have found in an arid hot environment the oil separates from the grease and drains through the metal shield. I never really encountered this in the cooler climates of the west coast of California, but have had a big taste of it here in good 115 degree Phoenix. If the bearing spins smooth, and feels lubed, then as O-D said, run it. If the bearing turns smooth, but feels suspiciously dry, I have actually taken a very sharp all and pierced a tiny hole through the metal shield ensuring that I don't hit the bearing or race. I have a grease needle adaptor that I put on the grease gun and pump grease through the tiny hole as I turn the bearing. This has worked very well.

I hope this has not added confusion to the list of options, and only mention because of personal experience with rear wheel bearings failing on various brand X club runs (hint - Ford) here in the good old desert at the most inopportune moments.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 0:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Thanks for all the advice guys, especially the excellent one about plonk. Being rather partial to such things, I may just have one or two tonight, and perhaps another for you guys. The brake bleeding was accomplished without too much drama, although I did as requested and turned the radio off in the shed and agreed that it was bloody hot in here today. Maybe that's the secret, keep on agreeing and don't shout! I didn't worry about the bearings as they turn freely without noise or feel and, as we don't do a huge amount of miles each year, decided to leave that job for another day. I did decide to drain the diff and replace the oil in there as I didn't know how long it's been since the last time. Also, I noticed the bushings in the stabiliser bar are in pretty bad shape and need replacing. I'm happy to do that, although it looks like the factory has rivetted the parts together so that probably means grinding and using bolts. Ah well, it is a Packard after all. Cheers, John

PS, I did have those couple of "red's" last night, and quite enjoyable they were too. I've started the search for the vent hole in the diff housing but I mustn't have remove enough crud as I haven't found it yet.

Posted on: 2010/2/25 0:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved