Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 204

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Repacking Rear Axle Bearings
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
G'day Mates, I'm in need of some more expert advice. After reconditioning the front wheel cylinders and fitting new axle bearings to my '56 Patrician, I'm now in the process of reco'ing the rear wheel cylinders, and am wondering whether to tackle the rear axle bearings as well. From my reading of the manual, it seems that the bearings might have to be pressed off the axle for repacking and then pressed back on. Am I on the right tram here or is it possible the bearings fitted are sealed for life (he says hopefully)? I actually have a spare axle complete with bearing and the rollers (or balls?) are covered on both sides - unable to be repacked unless covers are removed, but I am reluctant to try and do this unless that's what I'm supposed to do. Cheers, John

Posted on: 2010/2/24 17:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Repacking Rear Axle Bearings
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The new-for-1956 rear axle by Dana uses permanently sealed rear axle bearings. Replace them when they get noisy, otherwise no action needed.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 18:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
although it is a 1955 check out my project blog to see rear axle details for 55. don't know if it will help...but...here it is.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=653&start=0

Posted on: 2010/2/24 18:50
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The 1955 rear axle was still a Packard-built unit, entirely different than 1956. It requires removal of the shafts for repacking, at which time seals should also be replaced or at least inspected, and if the bearings are replaced the axle shaft end play may require adjustment (via shims). Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 18:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Thanks Owen, that's what I was hoping to hear and, given that they are not noisy, I'll leave well enough alone. Now that's under control, time to refit the rear brakes and bleed the system, not that I'm looking forward to that. She who must be obeyed will have to give me a hand, or foot, and follow my instructions. Even though we've been married for 45 years, there are still occasional communication problems. As someone once said, life wasn't meant to be easy! Cheers, John

Posted on: 2010/2/24 19:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Ah, my dear Rumpole, that is what plonk is for!

Posted on: 2010/2/24 20:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
AAh, some fans of the barrister?, eh? I still enjoy replaying various scenes in my head. What a great program. And I also referred occasionaly to my wife as "she who must be obeyed."

Posted on: 2010/2/24 20:53
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

duh
See User information
Mine frequently holds my button whilst I choke it. Lol. Guess I got lucky. She loves to pick the gunk out of old parts and such. Then when I get to something like a carb rebuild, she'll self edit and scram.

And I'm with Owen. Leave them alone till they start clicking.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 21:00
If it wasn't for those meddling kids, and their dog too...

1952 200 deluxe touring- its a goer...but not a stopper. Just ask my neighbour about her flower bed.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
You can also gravity bleed the system. Partially fill a clear container with brake fluid. Attach a clear plastic hose from bleed screw and submerge other end in container. Open bleed screw and then have someone or yourself keep topping off master cylinder until there are no bubbles in the container. Close the bleed screw. Start with the furthest corner away from master cylinder.

Whether you need a helper depends on how fast you can plonk yourself under the car.

Posted on: 2010/2/24 21:06
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Why not replace the bearing now that you have the unit disassembled? Seems like an inexpensive and easy job at this time. Why wait for them to fail at sometime in the future when it may be most inconvenient? Do it now and have the peace of mind that one more potential problem has been addressed. If it was may car I would do it now.

(o {I} o)

Posted on: 2010/2/24 21:50
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved