Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 227

Don B, Todd W. White, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Dealer: Kansas City MO
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
DRP (my dad's initials, by the way)
I'm trying to find out the name of the original owner of my 1940 Packard. The initials on the door are GSC, and there is an Independence connection. I was told by someone at Hershey this year that it could be a Chrysler, which was a big name in that area at one time.

Posted on: 2010/3/16 7:49
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
West, there are many different variations in how monograms were done, as on cars, hankerchiefs, sport jackets, wallets, etc. but be alert to the fact that the middle letter may be the first letter of the last name. For example, the original monogram on my 34 rear doors was laid out as "RKS" with the first and last letters smaller in size than the middle, and the whole item bracketed by a sidewise diamond outline. The original owners name was Rita S. Kittinger.

There is a document floating around, perhaps I saw it on this website or maybe in PAC's Cormorant, which shows the variety of different formats of painted monograms available from Packard on prewar cars as part of the factory pinstripe kit. It would be interesting to see if your monogram matches one of these styles. Mine did.

So, depending on how the letters are presented on your monogram, if the middle letter is larger or bolder, keep an open mind that the person's last name might begin with an "S".

Posted on: 2010/3/16 8:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
GSC

Attach file:

jpg  (100.42 KB)
404_4b9f948a5e71b.jpg 1080X913 px

Posted on: 2010/3/16 9:24
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the picture West, seems like no special emphasis on any of the letters so I'd conclude "C" was the last name. My monogram was done with paint and sadly has pretty much been lost to the years of polishing. Mine was similar to the rough sketch below.

Attach file:

jpg  (5.60 KB)
177_4b9fa0fbf22d2.jpg 420X258 px

Posted on: 2010/3/16 10:13
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

DRP
See User information
West Peterson identified a possible Independence connection. Yes, the name Crysler is one of the "old families" in the area between old Kansas City and old Independence (following WWII, there was quite a bit of growth in this area so there is no undeveloped land between the two cities now).

If you look on a map, just east of the Truman Sports Complex you can see Crysler Avenue crossing Interstate 70 between the Blue Ridge Parkway interchange and the Noland Road interchange.

Posted on: 2010/3/16 16:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
One of the oil change stickers on my door is from a station in Independence, so that's why I'm curious about the Chrysler name. I'm wondering if there were any Chrysler's around with the initials GSC.

Posted on: 2010/3/16 16:20
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

DRP
See User information
Offhand, I have no way of getting an answer although have a couple of ideas for where to look. I may see if I have anyone I know has contacts at the Jackson County Historical Society. Also the Mormon church has a sizable facility in Independence and they maintain quite a few records which are available for genealogical research. Old census records might be a source. Either the Kansas City Missouri Public Library or the Mid-Continent Public Library system may have some old census data, also.

What is the name and address of the place which changed the oil? One would guess that Crysler (spelling is different from the Chrysler car) either lived or worked near where the oil was changed.

Posted on: 2010/3/16 16:47
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jeff
See User information
To answer the immediate question: Yes, the Zone Office was moved to the new location of Reid-Ward. It was in the "basement," that is, below the street level on half of the building. Bob Aller's office was located there while he served as Zone Service Manager out of KC.

To confirm the other question several posts above, the photo of the dealership shown is of the old Reid-Ward location, prior to their move in 1930. It is on McGee, and is now under the Crown Center complex. Interestingly, there was another Packard dealer very near by, a truck dealer in the '20s. It was at approx. 22nd & McGee. The newer Reid-Ward became Jack Beebe Packard in the '50s, at the same location. Mr. Beebe was a salesman (Sales Manager?) for R-W previously, and after both Reid and Ward were out of the picture, he purchased the business, running it until '56. We have members who still own the '53 Caribbean they purchased new at Beebe Packard!

Oddly, Hallmark basically destroyed both of the Reid-Ward sites. I doubt it was anything personal, but wouldn't it be interesting if someone on the Board of Hallmark were a big Cadillac stock-holder. Hmmmm.... nah. Couldn't be!

Sorry I am so late to the party here, but I have been researching various KC Packard locations for an upcoming feature in Mid-America Packards Data Plate. I have photos of several of these buildings, inside and out, and some other goodies to share. When I am ready to go, I will post those pics here to add to this very interesting section. Old dealerships are a disappearing treasure, and it is nice to document what we can!

Posted on: 2010/6/3 15:48
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

DRP
See User information
I would be most interested in seeing the photos. As soon as you have the opportunity, please post them. I know they would be fascinating for others, as well.

Posted on: 2010/6/4 12:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Jeff
I'm specifically interested in information on the Packard Country Club dealership. If you have pics I could use, I'd appreciate it. You can contact me at dbaird@semo.edu. Or mldab2@v-link.net.
Thanks in advance.
Dave

Posted on: 2010/6/6 17:36
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved