Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 104

chevyboy, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1948 Von Rudolph Custom Roadster
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Owen

In 'Collectible Automobile' October 1992 issue, a Personality Profile of Richard Arbib has two photo of the '49 Monte Carlo on page 43. They're very small images, show front and rear three quarter views, look to be publicity photos.

I suspect the car was based on a Custom 8 convertible with the hardtop and trim fitted. That would be the quickest, least costly way to build it.

Oddly enough, I've never seen any period photos of Packard auto show displays that feature this car. One would think if it were a dream/idea car Packard embraced, it would show up prominently in those displays.

Actually, it would be a good recreation project for someone with a Custom 8 convertible in need of restoration.

Steve

Posted on: 2010/3/11 9:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the information on the other pictures, the car certainly had earmarks of an Arbib (Creative Industries) job. I'd like to see the other pictures, especially the rear view - I understand the copyright issue about posting them here, any way you can get copies of them emailed to me? If so, send me a PM.

As to making one from a 23rd series Custom 8 convertible, that would be in my view a very tough call, given that only 145 were built, only a handful surviving, and it's one of the very rarest post-war production cars by Packard, far rarer than any Caribbean.

PS- perhaps one reason the car never made the show circuit or got much publicity is that the basic design and appeal of the 22/23rd series was already on the wane, dated, and slated for replacement by the time the car was completed? Just conjecture on my part. But a true pillarless hardtop if introduced with the 22nd series would have been quite a sensation.

Posted on: 2010/3/11 9:48
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jmmfranklin
See User information
Hello,

Von Rudolph car was built as a concept/California custom movement but was never completed - a demonstration of how a Packard Custom Coupe/convertible could be modified into a roadster. It was finished like the week before last and still needs clean up, plus some fine detailing (which I will do in the next week or two). The fellow who created was a Mr. John Rudolph and it was basically his passion for a fair amount of his life, he was a big picture guy though and just did not have the fine finish skills to get the project done. Supercharger was a little out of all the local mechanics skill sets in tuning (might take a die hard Studebaker, Kaiser, or racing fanatic who is use to working with them) - damn thing puts out a ton of boost pressure and is just hard to work with. By the way - it is one wild ride and for real dramatics people are stunned when you wind the top down or install the front wheel fender skirts - they are just knock you dead.

JMM

Posted on: 2010/3/12 2:36
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Clements
See User information
Has that Monte Carlo "show car" survived? Looks quite nice.

Posted on: 2010/3/12 3:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The McCulloch supercharger is still around. Now it is known as the Paxton.

All the bugs were worked out long ago. If you really want to talk to an expert, call John Erb. Parts are available. The supercharger itself is reliable and a good addition to that car.

Posted on: 2010/3/12 8:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Has that Monte Carlo "show car" survived?

John, apparently it was scrapped while still under Packard ownership but I'm told a few individual fragments of it remain in private hands. I've never heard or read any information to the contrary.

Posted on: 2010/3/12 8:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

If someone wants to recreate the '49 Monte Carlo, maybe a '49 or '50 Super Deluxe convertible could be the basis?

I wonder if this model might have been the basis for the original?

Steve

Posted on: 2010/3/12 10:26
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

John Clements
See User information
Thanks Dave, I suppose all manufacturers did this, liability reasons if sold or similar.

Posted on: 2010/3/12 19:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Owen: I realy wonder if Packard did have ownership of the 49 Monte Carlo. I understand it may have sat around in the Henney shops for a peroid of time after Packard showed no interest in it.

Could you please give us some details of the story as to when it may have been destroyed.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2010/3/13 7:17
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I have scanned the other two pictures of the 23rd series Monte Carlo, and I'm not sure what the copyright situation might be. Almost certainly they originally belonged to Henney which passed to Oneida School Bus Co. and then to Marmon-Herrington in 1960. Whether Car Collector obtained authorization in 1992 or not and if so from whom I don't know but it would seem unlikely any Henney successors if there are any would care after more than 60 years so I'll take a chance and post all three. Thanks to GTO for the copy of the 1992 George Hamlin article which contained the story and the photos. IMO it would have been a pretty stunning car if Henney had done it 2+ years earlier and it was introduced in April 1947 with the rest of the 22nd series. The coat of arms on the front fenders doesn't add anything to it!

Kev - if you think this is inappropriate I'll certainly understand it if you chose to delete the post and pictures.

Attach file:

jpg  (62.44 KB)
177_4b9e52648acd1.jpg 1024X571 px

jpg  (45.16 KB)
177_4b9e526f0f86e.jpg 800X478 px

jpg  (49.87 KB)
177_4b9e5279a3834.jpg 800X495 px

Posted on: 2010/3/15 10:30
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved