Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 100

humanpotatohybrid, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Help getting my 51 started?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kamstilla
See User information
I know its somewhere on here but I've been digging but i haven't came across it yet so can someone help me? I turn the key and nothing happens only the battery light and the glove box light comes on. I've gotten my starter checked(it works). I replaced the starter solenoid(new), new coil, good 6volt battery. the distributor looks clean on the inside but the wires look like crap. I'm not a mechanic but if someone can point me in the right direction. How the H=ll do I get this thing started?

I just got my battery tested and its test at 70% would this make a difference? a major difference?

To 1938 club coupe I'm not getting anything. I turn the key and nothing happens.

Posted on: 2010/3/21 14:10
 Top  Print   

Re: Help getting my 51 started?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Since you didn't mention the distributor have you checked the points and condensor etc. Try a search on site or refer to a manual which you can download here also and check out the possibilities.It may be something simple like mis adjusted points or poor connection.

Posted on: 2010/3/21 14:28

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Am assuming you have 6 volts at the coil on the yellowish wire coming from ignition switch when it is on. If so, in addition to Clipper47s suggestions to check, also remove the wire at distributor coming from coil and just tap it to the block checking for spark from the coil. If you have spark then, look carefully at distributor and make sure all is good and the dist is grounded well. There is a little usually black cloth covered flexible wire inside distributor between outside terminal and points. Make sure it is in good shape but not grounded except when points are closed. If there is no 6v or no spark when tapping the block, look toward ignition switch. The coil should be directly connected to the "coil" terminal on switch.

Posted on: 2010/3/21 14:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
I'm a little confused.
Will the engine turn over ?
Or does it turn over and not start ?
Or did I miss something in the 1st post ?

Posted on: 2010/3/21 19:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
You changed the post! Seems like maybe your battery is just weak. How long have you owned the car and have you ever had it running?

Posted on: 2010/3/21 19:17

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I turn the key and nothing happens.
I'm confused as well. Just turning the key won't do it. Assume you also press the accelerator to engage the starter switch. If you are pressing the accelerator and it won't turn over, and if no one has modified anything, then the switch is the black plastic piece at the front of carburetor with two wires attached.

Posted on: 2010/3/21 19:26
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kamstilla
See User information
1947 clipper I've had the car for two years and a friend of mine got the motor to crank the thing is I can't remember what he did. I do know that the carb wasn't on at the time so I figured he must of got the starter to turn the motor (i guest). Any suggestions or points. thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2010/3/21 19:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Well if the wiring harness hasn't been modified the engine was probably turned over by shorting the two wires on the carb switch so I would start there (no pun intended). Look at the carburetor for the plastic piece with two wires as mentioned by HH56. Check with test light or multimeter to see if there is 6 volts at one of the wires with the ignition switch on. If there is turn the throttle linkage at the carb to full throttle and see if the engine cranks or simply jump the two wires together and see what happens. Put the transmission into neutral/park with emergency brake on first!

Posted on: 2010/3/21 19:56

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kamstilla
See User information
Is this the black plastic piece on the carb that your talking about. If so can you explain or tell me where i can figure out how to connect it. I found a set of wires hanging at the back of the fire wall but the wires have no marking on them?

Attach file:

jpg  (99.53 KB)
908_4ba6c2a313ead.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (95.22 KB)
908_4ba6c2c028a7d.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/3/21 20:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is the switch and those are probably the wires. They are in pretty sad shape though. From the looks of them with ign switch on, just touching them should turn the motor if still connected to solenoid and ign switch. Strongly suggest taping them up as well as any others you find in that condition. If lucky, you may be able to peel back the black tape a bit and see the colors. If correct ones, whiteish with green stripe should go to solenoid and yellow with red to ign switch. The blackish one with the plastic connector is probably for heater blower motor.

Posted on: 2010/3/21 20:18
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved