Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 195

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 55 Clipper Custom T/L problem
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The Clipper's T/L is now working. I asked for gas money and the $10.00 I paid for the rear window defogger kit. He overpaid me by $20.00. Nice guy.
He is asking $6500.00 for the car. It does need front upholstery work. We went for a little drive. It ran fine after warming up a bit. If anyone is seriously interested, PM me and I can give you his name and number.

Posted on: 2007/11/14 13:51
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
sounds like a nice car. Too rich, and too far and from me unfortunatly.

Posted on: 2007/11/14 15:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
I guess the guy he told us who knew about the T/L wasn't quite up to your level of knowledge. I was sure if it could be fixed you would be the man ( "ask the man who owns one "applies to help also.

Posted on: 2007/11/14 15:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Atta boy, Randy. Anorher one got fixed right and escaped blue crimp connector purgatory, aided and abetted by someone who knows Chevy/Ford/Mopar only and would take one look at the T/L system, not know AT ALL what they were looking at, and would happily go about the work of lowering to their level.

Posted on: 2007/11/14 16:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Just as a point of discussion, when I adjusted the T/L so that the rear skirt halved the hubcap, the car seemed too low in the rear. I adjusted it to appear level to both our eyes and the skirt was an inch and a half above the center of the hubcap. I looked at the front link and it had no rings. Does the Clipper sit higher than a senior Packard? I didn't think so but this one sits up rather high.

Posted on: 2007/11/15 0:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
SWAG--shorter chassis,same torsion bars,less "stuff" in the rest of the body=less weight=higher riding height?

Posted on: 2007/11/15 5:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Mr Pushbutton

I've been running one of the (solid state) T/L control units on my car now for a little over a year. Like you, I assume that they're using the 555 timers but haven't taken it apart to verify. Being very familiar with the ice cube style relays from my days selling and installing low voltage card key entry and exit systems in commercial buildings, I would have attempted that, myself, if hadn't been on the road working and depending on someone else.

The solid state control box seems to work exactly as the old one did (until it died) and have made several road trips (the latest being from Orlando to Miami and back through some fairly heavy rain showers, day before yesterday). I've got the '55 Pat adjusted to sit about an inch higher in the rear (just because I prefer it that way). Works for me.

Posted on: 2007/11/15 9:27
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved