Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 197

Don B, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: electric fuel pump to assist starting?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Jones Jr.
See User information
I have a 41 120 and fought vapor lock car alledgedly had a nos new pump on it. I ordered rebuild kit from then and now automotive installed and still vapor lock

Put six volt ac pump sold by great pla8ns Packard on car r8ght in front of rear axle with filter before pump. Ran wirinv through toggle zwitch on dash to ign switch. Took all guts out of pump
Xcept gaskets. Made block off plate and also took out pump actuating arm. Pump on engine has fuel flowing through it but is a dummy. My vapor lock problems are over. The toggle switch
Is a safety feature.

Posted on: 2016/5/15 9:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sounds like a practical and all but invisible solution.

Many of us use a variation on that setup with a pulse type electric pump in the line near the tank and just run thru the mechanical pump.. Electric is switched on when used for priming or if the vapor lock condition occurs but otherwise is switched off and mechanical pulls thru the electric 99% of the time.

There have been a couple of installs where owners didn't want to risk a damaged diaphragm in mechanical pump dumping fuel into the crankcase. In one install the owner ran a very discreet and mostly hidden parallel line near the top of frame rail. It contained a check valve and fed by the electric to a tee and another check valve in the output line just after the mechanical pump. The connection was under the heat shield and not too visible.

The electric can still be used for priming and emergency but check valve at mechanical pump prevents pressure on diaphragm. The electric pump has its own valves and probably didn't need the extra check but the owner felt it was just added insurance to prevent mechanical from pushing fuel back into tank.

Posted on: 2016/5/15 9:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Another option is the bulb type hand pump commonly found on boats. I have one plumbed in just before the mechanical pump. Of course this requires you to open the hood to prime the engine, and offers no benefit for vapor lock. However it is quick and easy to install and could be easily removed as well. No additional plumbing or wiring required.

Posted on: 2016/5/15 9:53
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved