Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 118

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Backgrounds of my Clipper
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Hi,

I'm in a search of some backgrounds of my '56 Packard Clipper.

I have the Certificate of Title for my car and I was hoping trough this way to find some info about the previous owners in the USA, bought at which dealership, service station, pictures, ...

The title was at name of David J Lattimer, 229 Sprucewood St, Pittsburgh PA 15210. The date of issue is 11-26-84.
The car has been exported to Belgium in 1989, the last owner was still David Lattimer.

The car has still parts of the tax tags on the window of 1988, issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

The service station, where the car has been maintenanced was Ed Smorey, GULF Service, Rt 19 Cranberry Town, phone 724 776-9972

The phone number seems nowadays to be from a nailshop.

Is there a way that I can take to get more information with these facts?
I like to make contact with the previous owner(s) to learn some things from the past, maybe to collect old pictures of the car when it was still in the States.

Thanks !

Xavier

Posted on: 2010/4/25 16:26
Resized Image PONTIAC FIREBIRD 3.1 V6 '91 + FIREBIRD Esprit 4.1 L6 '80 + CHEVROLET CAPRICE Wagon 5.0 V8 '87 [img]http://uniform.messageboard.nl/10060/images/smiles/fl
 Top  Print   

Re: Backgrounds of my Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
try contacting Ed Smorey. That's your best possibility of getting more info.

Posted on: 2010/4/25 20:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Have you tried the Studebaker Museum in Southbend, In. They may have a copy of your build sheet.

Also since you know the name of a previous owner, you may try goggling the persons name and hist last know city. I was able to get my owner history this way and contract him. He then gave me the name of who he bought it from and that led to another google search and so on until I was able to trace the history back to the early 70s. My trail grew cold as I believe I hit a point where the previous owner is no longer alive. So the prior history died with him.

Posted on: 2010/4/25 21:35
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Espirit80,

Try going to your state's DMV or MVD (Motor Vehicle Division). Here in Arizona I was able to get copies of all previous owner documents etc. when I made the request. I had to pay some nominal fees for copying etc, but I eventual got information on the first owner from Arizona.

Posted on: 2010/4/25 22:29
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Due to privacy\stalking laws in California, DMV will no longer give you information about previous owners. People were using this information to track other people down.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 13:36
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Due to privacy\stalking laws in California, DMV will no longer give you information about previous owners. People were using this information to track other people down.

Same deal in NV.

In order to get a clear title on one of my Firebirds, according to the NV DMV, I needed to send a certified letter to the previous owner, but I did not know who the previous owner was. After personal conversations with local DMV and letter correspondence with Reno (state) DMV, they would neither give me the name & address nor forward my letter to that person. But, without the name, I could not complete my paperwork. A Catch 22 for sure. I eventually gave up and parted it out.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/4/26 14:02
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Thanks for the advice.

I'll search further on the net to find some backgrounds.

Meanwhile, this is the most recently made picture of the car:

Attach file:

jpg  (159.53 KB)
809_4bd8ae5a4b579.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (168.90 KB)
809_4bd8ae88c3cf3.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (147.55 KB)
809_4bd8aeb112299.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/4/28 16:55
Resized Image PONTIAC FIREBIRD 3.1 V6 '91 + FIREBIRD Esprit 4.1 L6 '80 + CHEVROLET CAPRICE Wagon 5.0 V8 '87 [img]http://uniform.messageboard.nl/10060/images/smiles/fl
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
beautiful - is it original paint? mine was repainted once I think. Same color bottom and top, white roof added later.

Posted on: 2010/4/29 9:16
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Roger,

The car has been repainted wheen it was still in the USA ( before 1988 ), you can see it at some places where the paint is located at some of the rubbers.

The lower parts has to be redone because of rust which begins to come, we will plan a restoration for the car, but I want it to be done completely at once. So when we do some metal sheet repairs, the car must be repainted in the original color and the chrome must be redone also.

The car is mechanic OK, it passes the technical control for daily use, so I like to drive some time with it before work starts.

Here in Belgium an oldtimer can have access to the traffic at 2 ways:
- Oldtimer ( > 25 years old car ) with a license plate starting with an O ( eg: OAA-111 ), you never do have to go to the technical control anymore but there is a limited use of the car ( only at daytime and within a radius of 25 kilometer from your home )
- Oldtimer Daily Use ( > 25 years old ) with a regular license plate (like mine), gives you unlimited access to traffic, you need to go every year to the technical control, the car must be conform to the national laws of dept of transportation.

Xavier

Posted on: 2010/4/29 16:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Condition appears to be almost identical as well.. I have a very small amount of rust bubbles beginning at the bottom of one front fender and rear 1/4s in a couple places. The floors and trunk and frame are virtually perfect however. Your doors appear to fit better, mine stick out a bit above the rockers on one side, and i'm not sure quite how to fix it.

Posted on: 2010/4/30 8:54
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved