Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 222

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

PS on non-PS car
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
With advancing age I can see a time I'll want PS on my '56 Clipper - how difficult/expensive would such an addition be? How about parts needed, availability of parts, and obtaining them from a junkyard (aka auto parts recycler) to save $$ ?

Posted on: 2010/4/26 17:02
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Re: PS on non-PS car
Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
I have a 55-56 power steering rack with inner tie rods and the pump and brackets(pump needs a pulley).... As far as outfitting it on your 56 I would have to do some research

Posted on: 2010/4/26 17:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Many have done that very project. I believe best and easiest is find a comparable parts Clipper for the needed items. As the columns are different 55 vs 56 it would be best to find a 56 parts car for the correct steering box. There is a difference in steering gear box ratio PS vs regular. The question came up not too long ago if that needed to change as well and some who have made the swap said they had left the regular in with no problems. That would be the biggest decision as to difficulty but a 56 is relatively easy to swap compared to earlier. The remaining pieces are pretty much interchangeable, years wise. There are more pieces involved in a Bendix swap compared to the essentially one piece Monroe but rebuild parts seem to be easier to find for the Bendix. With that being said, the mechanical items are fairly easy to swap but you will need the brackets and some items only available from the parts car.

Short of finding a parts car so you could see how things fit together, probably the next best solution in finding things would be to get hold of someone like Mike Dulinski and buy all the necessary pieces as a unit.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 18:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Unless i'm reading the parts manual incorrectly, mine shows only 2wo different steering columns for the 56's. One for Push Button and one for NOT pushbutton.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 21:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The actual columns in 56 are almost identical except for the top pieces where the gear selector vs pushbutton housing and associated hardware down the tube is the difference.

The suggestion I was referring to of a 56 parts car is between 55-56 if he wanted to change the gearbox. While just about everything will interchange elsewhere from a 55, the 55 gearbox has a solid shaft to the steering wheel and full length column while a 56 has the short column and gearbox with stub shaft and flex connection a third of the way up.

While the conversion could be made between years, it would be more work that I would want to do.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 22:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
There's a Clipper Constellation in a local yard that's 100% complete, but it's been a year since I saw it, and now I can't remember if it's 55 or 56 (old age)...I think 55...but would the pump and brackets from 55 work, if not the rack? Is there any durability or functional difference between Bendix and Monroe, if one has a choice? Given the right parts, is sounds like the swap operation itself isn't bad?

Posted on: 2010/4/27 8:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As long as the system is from a comparable chassis and is removed and installed complete, everything will work except the steering box between years. You will have to be sure and get all the components--even though they might look the same, there might be a subtle difference. In 55, believe the original plan was Monroe on junior cars and Bendix on seniors but that doesn't seem to be a hard rule and apparently completely thrown out in 56.

I have driven and owned both and while it is subjective, actually think the Monroe has a better feel. Others can speak to their experiences. As to reliability, believe they are comparable but again, others might have a different take. I would install either depending on which was available but if given the choice would go for the Monroe just for the simplicity. While the pumps and brackets will bolt up, the pumps have different pressure outputs for the two systems but are identical otherwise so that would be one thing to watch for in case someone had changed a pump in the past.

As you can see from the pictures, the Monroe installation is a bit less complicated since it is all enclosed in one housing while the Bendix has a separate control assy and power assy so needs more brackets and linkage.

Attach file:

jpg  (67.09 KB)
209_4bd6f119be0c8.jpg 843X700 px

Posted on: 2010/4/27 9:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I agree with Howard. Monroe has fewer moving parts, therefore less play in the system. I converted my 400 and the Caribbean to Monroe. The fitting that the pressure hose mounts into has "900" stamped into it so it is very visible when viewed. I think the only real difference is an orifice used to constrict the flow so as to raise the pressure. I was able to find NOS Monroe rams so I didn't have to rebuild the old ram.

Posted on: 2010/4/27 9:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Very helpful info - thanks gents!
All things considered Monroe seems to be the best bet. I'm not ready quite yet, I'd like to drive the car as is for awhile, who knows, maybe I'll even get used to it. Parking seems to be when you really notice the extra effort of course.

JT, if your rig is a 56 Monroe, it might be workable, I think the local car is a '55. We have a daughter in Denver and will be driving out to visit the end of May.

Posted on: 2010/4/27 11:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved