Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 209

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard Oiling System Parts including Oldsmobile Oil Pump Conversion Kit update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Packard Oiling System Parts List:

Oldsmobile V8 Oil Pump Conversion Kit - $210
Oldsmobile V8 Standard Duty Oil Pump and Pickup - $100
Oldsmobile V8 High Volume Oil Pump and Pickup - $150

Packard Engineering Second Design Cam Retainer Plate and Spacer - should be installed whenever the front cover is removed from a '55-early '56 Packard V8 - $75

Re-Manufactured Packard Oil Pump - Vacuum Pump replaced by a ?" cast iron bottom plate and triple the bearing area - $350

Neoprene Rear Main Seal - $25

Reinforced Front Balance Damper and Neoprene Seal - $100 and exchange of your damper. Check the keyway of any damper when any damper is removed. Many are cracked. Sometimes the crack requires magnaflux testing, but no damper should be replaced without confirming it is not cracked.

Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
3227 E 27th Avenue
Spokane, WA 99223-5701
509-935-6023
[/b]

Posted on: 2010/4/30 13:12
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Oiling System Parts including Oldsmobile Oil Pump Conversion Kit update
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ryan Messner
See User information
Jack,
Thanks again. I have my olds pump and adapter installed and hope to get the motor buttoned up soon and in the car.

The intall was super easy, just had to grind the pump and the one bolt a bit and all is well.

Ryan Messner

Posted on: 2010/5/4 15:32
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard Oiling System Parts including Oldsmobile Oil Pump Conversion Kit update
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Jack,

Thanks for taking over the Olds oil pump adapter kit production after my local, retired machinist's knees gave out. Obviously, the V-8 owners need it and you are supplying it at a reasonable price.

Also, thanks for offering a "complete" setup for oil control on these otherwise magnificent engines.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/5/4 16:17
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Being newish - is there a thread that covers this subject in total, from what the problem actually is, how to diagnose if it exists in your car, and how to correctly fix it? I am barely at the tune-up stage ability-wise, no master mechanic.

Posted on: 2010/5/4 16:51
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Yes, see this:

http://www.1956packardpanther.com/PV8C_OHVOPA.html

Except contact Jack Vines, not me.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/5/4 17:20
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Thanks very much - will do.

Posted on: 2010/5/4 17:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Read the article - thanks... what kind of field testing has been done, on how many cars and what are the results? Has the volume and pressure been measured and how does it compare to original? How many miles have been put on engines with the Olds pump mod? Is there an article somewhere on the full flow oil filter conversion?

Posted on: 2010/5/5 8:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
My 56 Executive was the FIRST car to place the Olds pump conversion into operation. It has over 6K miles on it since the Olds Conversion was installed. I recently had the oil pan removed for bearing inspection and also removed the pump for inspection. Everything looks just fine.

Posted on: 2010/5/5 8:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Thanks - also I found the thread on the full flow filter...
any opinions on whether the std Olds pump is fine to use or the high volume is necessary? Wonder what the high perf W-30 Olds engines used, they took a beating.

Posted on: 2010/5/5 9:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THe heavy Duty Olds pump has a LOWER pump shaft support that the standard duty Olds pump does NOT have. In view of problems with OEM Packard pump shaft wear it is best advised to use the heavy duty Olds pump for the conversion because it has the lower shaft support.

I did not use the full flow Olds conversion kit. I used the standard kit with a Heavy duty Olds pump.

The only VERY MINOR downside to the Olds conversion that is not always made clear is that a very tiny amount of metal must be ground or filed away from one lower corner of the pump to allow for pan clearence. It's not a problem. I just mention it so there will be no suprises during installation.

Posted on: 2010/5/5 9:09
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved