Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 216

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 55-56 Questions related to Jacks
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I have a tri pod jack like that too.And it's BLUE! Bought it at wESTERN aUTO or someplace like that about 1973. But the 56 Packard bumper is really not strong enuf for any bumper jack. The problem is that the bumper bends and flexs enuf to get into the fenders. The bumper usualy springs back (mostly) but the fender paint does not repair itself. Bumpers as a general rule have a lot of spring steel in them.

Posted on: 2010/5/16 14:47
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
I agree that using a bumper jcak on a 55 or 56 can be unnerving, but it is a big help when it comes to getting a rear wheel out from under the fender. A frame jack would probably work, but an axle jack won't.

Posted on: 2010/5/17 15:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
My experience with the tri-pod jack is that it is only somewhat better than the standard bumper jack. The tripod is rather awkward to handle and store. It will also usualy lift at least one of the legs from the ground as the car is raised. The screw handle at the top tends to hit the bumper or trunk lid or other parts of the car as the car is raised.

Posted on: 2010/5/17 16:34
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Probably preaching to the choir here, but if you use a scissors jack, avoid a lot of cranking and wheezing be blocking it up til it's just under the jack point. Be sure to have a jackstand along, too, as you don't want to rely on just the jack if all somehow comes tumbling down. Remember what happened to Jill when Jack fell down the hill.

Posted on: 2010/5/21 23:40
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved