Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
185 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 183

Packard Don, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

55-56 Questions related to Jacks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
55-56 Owners and Aficionados,

How many of you actually use the jacks that Packard made for our 55-56 Packards? As finish my car, I'm strongly thinking of acquiring a correct jack for placement into the trunk BUT then I thought why not aquire a modern style floor jack and mount into the trunk instead. Thinking out loud here, but would I use a correct Packard jack to change a tire? Would the use of that same correct jack ruin the newly chromed bumpers I paid dearly for?

Posted on: 2010/5/9 19:53
 Top  Print   

Re: 55-56 Questions related to Jacks
Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
I cant speak for 55,56 as for 54 the original jack is nice to have in the trunk (in the original box) but I would not risk messing up a bumper with it. I'll defer to others as to the best jack to use and the proper location. I know some floor jacks don't have enough rise height.

Posted on: 2010/5/9 20:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It would be nice to have the correct jack for appearance but I would not use it to change a tire. You answered your question about damaging the bumper. Chrome will be scratched, lower bar is relatively thin and easily bent where the lip catches (just look at many unrestored cars) and they are really not the safest game in town.

Frank makes a good point about the height. Harbor Freight has a nice aluminum racing jack which will go approx 15 inches but still might be an issue on the rear wheels. It's fairly light and disassembles to a fairly small package.http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/floor-jacks/rapid-pump-3000-lb-capacity-lightweight-aluminum-racing-jack-blue-40105.html I have a couple of them for various job related purposes and they work well but haven't tried one on the Packard.

Posted on: 2010/5/9 20:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe someone will remember but believe there was a poster in a discussion awhile back mentioning a 70's or 80's GM frame type jack which was foot operated but worked well on his Packard.

Posted on: 2010/5/9 20:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
That may have been me. I use a modified early 80's GM foot-operated jack. I welded an "L" angle to the contact area and then glued a piece of rubber tire to that. It fits against the side frame rails and won't slip because of the L shape. I would never use a bumper jack, but do have one in the box in the trunk. The "good" jack I stash behind the spare tire.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=979&forum=2&post_id=7294#forumpost7294

Posted on: 2010/5/9 20:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Good answers everyone. I would use the aluminum floor jack. You can get a NASCAR height one if that be required, but probably a normal height one (Harbor Freight) will be OK for emergency use.

Also NEVER jack up under the rear T-L torque arm into the stirrup, just as the SM warns.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/5/9 21:20
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I carry a heavy duty REDUCTION GEAR type scissors jack. It is not real lite but it is very compact. Just about 25% heavier than a common scissors jack. It works good.

I would definately not jack on the bumper with anything. The bumpers don't seem to be strong enuf to lift the weight of the car without distorting or bending.

Posted on: 2010/5/9 22:20
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
KevinAZ requested pics. Here they are.

No name on the jack. It very heavy duty. About 15" long.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.67 KB)
35_4bef52c85515c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.86 KB)
35_4bef53197a7fa.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/5/15 21:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Interesting, my 55-56 Parts and Accessories List (Rev. April 1, 1957) has a listing for a Tripod Bumper Jack part number SP50076 in the Accessories section (p. 283).

(o{I})

P.S. This book was my father's and just came back to me after being out of the family's possession for over 45 years. It still has extra reference material he inserted in it and notes in his handwriting.

Posted on: 2010/5/16 11:27
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What a nice thing to have your dads book back home.

Wonder if the jack might have been something they picked up with the merger or Stude body. No mention in the 55 or 56 accessories but is shown in the 57 acc catalog.

Attach file:

jpg  (19.07 KB)
209_4bf021875d4e3.jpg 658X319 px

Posted on: 2010/5/16 11:47
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved