Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 151

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Fitment of 35 amp alternator and vacuum pump to 1956 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all. I have just fitted my 56 Patrician (original 47,000 miles) with a 35 amp alternator, due to my low use duty cycle at minimum revs when the regulator has not cut in). I have opted for a diesel setup with the vacuum pump at the rear to supplement the original vacuum pump. Everything is easily reversible and the alternator is absolutely marvellous in terms of low speed charge due to the exciter current circuit. However, my question regards the vacuum pump which requires a pressurised feed. I originally was unsure if the oil pressure required to the rear of the vacuum pump was a stattic pressure. It apparently is not and uses the oil to cool and lubricate the pump. Does anyone know if the exit line from the original bypass oil filter, which enters the block just aft of the fill tube. Does anyone have the knowledge or a handy 374/352/320 block to verify if the outlet from the filter dumps into the block/sump cavity, or if it feeds into a gallery, such as the timing case. The reason that I am asking this is that the diesel vacuum pump really sucks some serious oil and needs to be introduced into the motor with some thought. My thought is to divert the output oil fom the engine filter into the rear of the vacuum pump then dump the product ( oil plus suction ) into the engine oil filler pipe. Has anyone done this before? Any thoughts, etc, before I re-invent the wheel , so to speak. Best regards Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2010/5/11 6:06
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Re: Fitment of 35 amp alternator and vacuum pump to 1956 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Let's see if i understand this correctly:

1.) The vacuum pump is part of or driven by the alternator shaft????

2.) The vacuum pump requires oil to cool and lubricate it???

The V8 oil filter cannister dumps into the timing chain area. It simply dumps into the timing chain area and runs down the front face of the block under the timing chain cover and back to the oil pan. So very little of the output from the oil filter does any lubrication at all not even to the timing chain.

NOTE that the oil filter has a restrictor in it. There is a 1/16" diameter hole in the center tube of the filter cannister that greatly reduces flow of oil thru the entire filter circuit. U indicate that the vaccuum pump requires a lot of oil. So i really don't know if the output of the filter will provide enuf oil or not because i don't know how much oil the vacuum pump requires. I would think that the filter output would be enuf but what are the specs for the vacuum pump oil requirements?????

If the filter output is connected to the input side of the vacuum pump then connect the output side of the vacuum pump to the original place in the block that the oil filter dumped into.

Posted on: 2010/5/11 6:34
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I see several potential problems.
1. If the vacuum pump requires alot of oil pressure then u mite be robbing oil pressure from the engine.

2. That alternator/vac pump combination (if that is what it is) must be rather large. Will be difficult to mount in original Packard V8 location.

3. may require heavier drive belt and support brackets????

4. Combination alternator/vac pump unit must be very expensive, especialy when u say DIESEL. Parts for that may become difficult to obtain in future years.

If u really need a vacuum pump then check into some of the diaghram type pumps used on ford diesels ca. 1980's. It will require extra brackets to mount but the pump requires no lubrication.

Posted on: 2010/5/11 6:44
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What is the alternator/vacuum pump combo unit u have originaly made for????

The 35 amp output should be enuf but i would prefer something closer to 50 amp or even more.

Posted on: 2010/5/11 6:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Why not just replace the vacuum wiper motor with an electric one and have a standalone alternator? You are already modifying the car, so originality cannot be an issue.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/5/11 6:52
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
U indicate " due to my low use duty cycle at minimum revs when the regulator has not cut in). "

BE ADVISED that internal regulation of most alternators will not last very long due to constant heavy battery charging if the battery gets rather low from setting for extended periods of time for more than 3 or 4 days at a time. I got into this problem with my very show room original and pristene low mileage 89 Caprice. $75 to repair it.

U are using some diesel engine unit and if that one blows a diode or something then u're probably looking at $200 to repair it.

Posted on: 2010/5/11 6:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
How much air do you anticipate the pump is going to deliver into the system? If it would not overwhelm the filter, is there a possibility the pump could be plumbed before the filter rather than after. If it requires a pressure feed, am thinking with the restrictions, after the filter might not have enough flow.

If it would not flow thru the pump unrestricted enough to lower pressure significantly, what about taking the supply from the unused opening at the rear of right head to the pump and then teeing into the filter return. I don't remember it dropping into the chain area as I thought there was only the one opening via the cam plate, but haven't looked recently. Even if it does, don't think that would cause an issue.

Posted on: 2010/5/11 8:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm not familiar with the alternator/vacuum pump set up as he indicates. His description begs the question as to whether or not the vacuum pump DRAWS the oil from the engine or does it simply require pressure oil supplied to it. i.e. does that vacuum pump double as an oil pump too???

Either way, i would be suspicous that the vacuum pump will rob oil/pressure from the engine.

Posted on: 2010/5/11 9:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I'm not familiar with the alternator/vacuum pump set up as he indicates.

Neither was I and apparently having lived a sheltered life, didn't even realize such things existed. Only pumps I've ever seen were individual belt driven, fuel pump or electric motor type.. Here is one off an Isuzu--Can't tell if this one needs the oil line but what an interesting idea. Hats off to Peter Packard for thinking of it and sharing. Didn't see a spec on the vacuum so wonder how much it pulls.

Attach file:

jpg  (15.69 KB)
209_4be9c014b05d5.jpg 369X375 px

jpg  (30.87 KB)
209_4be9c044cca74.jpg 564X394 px

Posted on: 2010/5/11 15:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
In the vacuum wiper days car makers offered an optional fuel pump with a vacuum pump on top. Maybe this would be an easier way to get the same thing?

Posted on: 2010/5/11 17:30
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved