Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 205

Packardbarry, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Fitment of 35 amp alternator and vacuum pump to 1956 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, thanks for some very good replies, especially about where the bypass filter dumps the oil. The unit is very similar to the Izuzu unit and fitted in the same spot as the generator. There was no need to cut or even remove the existing bracket or tensioner arm, it simply required a 2.75 inch spacer. There was also no need to change the original fan belt. I am keeping the original vacuum wiper and Mag- Nu - Matic set up I don't have a problem with vacuum wipers. I may have misled as to the amount of oil which the vacuum pump draw, I originally thought that the oil pressure was a static head and connected it to the inlet side of the bypass filter, only to discover that in 1 hour it had sucked about a litre from the engine sump. I simply removed the filler cap and inserted the vacuum pump outlet into the filler pipe neck as a temporary fix to get home. I shall post a few pics if I decide to keep the set-up which looks very neat and may be an option for anyone putting the Olds oil pump on and retain the vacuum wipers. In terms of maintenance of the alternator, I would expect to get around 40,000 km trouble free from a new alternator. Best regards Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2010/5/11 17:44
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
G'day all, Well, I have been doing a lot more with sorting out the 35Amp Alternator/Vacuum pump which I fitted to the 56 Patrician.
ALTERNATOR: The alternator is a Mitsubushi 300A12V35A, internally regulated and it fitted in the same location as the generator, used the same mounting bracket with a spacer to match. I used the same fan belt and belt tension adjuster. The electrical connection does not involve any cutting of the original wiring.
WIRING: The original generator armature wire goes to the BATT terminal on the alternator, the generator ground wire goes to the ground point on the alternator. At the original regulator the GEN terminal wire is transferred to the BATT connection on the regulator. Field for the alternator is from the front seat relay, which is active when the Ignition is ON. There are no other wiring changes required.
VACUUM PUMP: This is a very optional addition but I believe that it is worth it. I used it in parallel with the original sump vacuum pump and it works very well. I have changed the oil inlet of the vane pump to the outlet from the filter and use a 30 thou restrictor to control the flow to the vane pump. The air dump from the vacuum pump I have directed into the oil fill filter mechanism. I am currently using a bleed from this new pump to scavenge ultramatic oil leakage from the converter bell housing into a recovery container. No more drips on the driveway. I have included a few pics of the set-up, which i may or may not keep. Notice also the radiator hose filter and a pressure gauge measuring back pressure on the twin ultra cooling line, to which i have fitted a 10 micron magnetic in-line filter. I have also fitted a remote filler for the BTV. Best regards peter Toet

Attach file:

jpg  (103.79 KB)
154_4bfe1ba496981.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (129.09 KB)
154_4bfe1ca1df36c.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (141.02 KB)
154_4bfe1d1ab4d33.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (144.87 KB)
154_4bfe1d679060c.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/5/27 2:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Forsyth
See User information
certainly interesting....

Posted on: 2010/5/27 2:47
Carpe Diem!! Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
When the recovery container fills up with Ulramatic oil then what is there to keep the oil from sucking back into the vacuum side of the alternators vacuum pump????

Posted on: 2010/5/27 6:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
"When the recovery container fills up with Ulramatic oil then what is there to keep the oil from sucking back into the vacuum side of the alternators vacuum pump????

Nothing other than keeping an eye on the fliud level. The converter is leaking from the case O ring, because i did not completely scrape an old O ring from the two halves. It only leaks when in converter drive not on direct drive. The container is about 500 mils, is easily removeable and has a screw lid. I am not going to reuse the oil in the auto, until I can be sure of the contamination level of the scavenged oil. There is currently about two months and a few hundred miles of converter travel in the jar. Best regards Peter Toet

Attach file:

jpg  (86.28 KB)
154_4bff36074d3e5.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/5/27 22:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I note your chrome valve covers have the "Packard" painted red. Did you buy them that way or did you have them painted? This subject was brought up before with several people not believing the red paint was original. I have a chrome valve cover that is painted red. Just wondered about yours. The 55 valve covers are painted black? and then "Packard" is painted ivory. Are the regular valve covers painted?

Posted on: 2010/5/27 22:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
The Packard lettering on the valve covers was painted Red when i purchased the vehicle about 5 years ago. It has 49,000 miles on it now and to my knowledge the motor has never been apart. I am not sure if the red painting is original, although there is no sign of hand brushwork or touching up and the chrome definitely appears to be original. The car came into Australia in 1985 with only 35,000 miles on it. I could not imagine the previous owner painting them red. Peter

Posted on: 2010/5/27 23:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved