Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Engine Rebuild
Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Owen, Don't know if I just got a bad set or if all the sets are like this. I found the NOS cam gear so I wanted to keep and use the crank gear from the set. That's why I haven't sent it back to Kanter. I've had this set for 6 months by now. They probably wouldn't take it back at this late date anyway.

I really wish we hadn't driven the manufacture of these parts to China. Just a story, A friend of mine replaced an original GM starter in a 73 350 that was in the car over 20 years with a new, not rebuilt, starter from China. It hardly lasted 6 months and is shot. Same thing with an electric window motor from China I bought for my 73 Charger. Yes I did grease everything before it went back together. The junk plastic gears failed. At least it wasn't poisonous.

Posted on: 2010/6/29 16:30
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dan Clements
See User information
Just installed the timing chain is there a amount of slop in the chain that is ok or does it need to be tight.

Posted on: 2010/7/16 11:52
Dan Clements
South Lyon MI 48165
1940 120 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If the chain was completely taut without slack it would wear very quickly and might be tough on the sprockets as well. So it should have a "little" slack. Can you define what you mean by "a amount of slop.."? Perhaps measure the total deflection on one side, total of inwards and outward deflection, to give us a bit of an idea of what you're experiencing?

I've seen quite a few flathead Cadillac V8s with lots of slop with a new chain and typically it was due to the front (and likely other) cam bearings being badly worn. Not encountered this on a Packard, just food for thought.

Posted on: 2010/7/16 12:33
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved