Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 156

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: '56 Suspension
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Finding the unloading tool might be difficult. They are out there but scarce so unless someone in your neck of the woods has one and offers to help, you might have to go to plan 2. If not successful finding one, I have heard of things being reconnected by having the car on stands with all wheels hanging down so bars are at the least amount of tension. Separate the steering knuckle so the lower A arm will drop down at the wheel end. Replace the strut, make sure the back end is still in position and then jack up the A arm until things can be reconnected. I haven't actually tried it so there may be a better way. It may be necessary to have some additional weight or some means of preventing the frame from raising with the jack as well. The "cup" will have to be found or another obtained from a 56. The seat contours are different and not interchangeable from 55 to 56.

EDIT: Apologies and my mistake. I misread and jumped over the stirrup bit. Associated the front of tire to front of car. The home is getting closer by the day.

Posted on: 2010/7/11 20:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
There is no need to unwind your torsion bars to reconnect the rear stirrup. You will need to get that missing cup first though.

Fortunately, the rear of the torsion bars only unwind so far when they come unhooked as they are captured in the frame. If not, that thing would have unwound about 180 degrees! After you get that missing cup, all you have to do is unhook the rear shocks and the stabilizer linkage at the rear. Let the axle drop far enough that you can pry the stirrup under the load arm, then jack the axle back up enough to rehook your shocks etc. Sweatless, and only vaguely nerve-wracking.

Of course, while everything is disconnected back there is a good time to replace the the rubber bushings at the rear axle and at the forward end of the suspension arm. At this age, they usually need it.

Posted on: 2010/7/11 21:55
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

buddyfromvb
See User information
thank you for the information this makes me feel a little better about the skill level required and I was a little nervous with the torque knowing how much power that can release in about a nanosecond i will shop for the cup and let you know how it goes.

Posted on: 2010/7/11 23:29
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved