Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 232

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 55-56 Radiators
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information

Posted on: 2010/6/6 12:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
From my notes the 433433 rad is 75-79 Ford pickup truck w/V8 and will fit as far back as 1968.

I did not use the Packard oil cooler. I connected the trans oil cooler lines to the F radiator.

THE ONLY burchering of the Packard oem platform required 2wo 1/4" holes drilled into the lower frame rails to mount the lower radiator support bar. I believe that can be avoided with a little extra work. Maybe use the rivets that hold the cross-tie brace of the frame instead.

Posted on: 2010/6/6 12:51
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Again, R&R of this radiator is difficult compared to the oem rad. THis is because it is such a tite fit in the horse collar. BUT, i used the HD version of the F radiator not the standard version that T'Pacman used. The HD version is only about 11% more cooling that the standard Packard oem rad.

Posted on: 2010/6/6 12:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Very good points to consider. Is there a minimum and or maximum distance that the fan needs to be towards the interior face of the radiator?

Posted on: 2010/6/6 22:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jreeder41
See User information
I have used these guys twice with excellent results.

http://www.fourseasonsradiator.net/fourseasonsradiator.html

They can take your og rad and copy in alum or whatever you would like. Give them a call. Both rads they did ran between 4-500 bucks in alum.

Posted on: 2010/6/7 11:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Thanks jreeder41. Have submitted an email for an estimate.

Still anyone know max/min distance(s) involved fan to radiator?

kg

Posted on: 2010/6/9 19:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Randy Berger and I compared fan to core distances a while back, as I recall we both came up with 3/4 to 7/8 inch.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 19:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Your memory is still good.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 21:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
KevinAZ, What have u done the radiator????

Hope the wildfires are a safe distance from u.

Posted on: 2010/6/21 22:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Keith. Most of them fires are far away near Flagstaff about 240 miles north. Five years ago we lost much beautiful forest in the Santa Catalina Mountains immediately above my home here in Tucson.

RE: radiator. I got very lucky. When I disassembled my 400, I removed the old radiator and stored it here at the house. The upper tank was dented and it had a defacement on the interior side, so I decided not to use it. The rad on the '55 part Patrician looked great so I had it re-cored and eventually installed it on the 400. Then, shortly after firing the car and getting it ready for the road, I thought it was leaking and brought it back to the shop. The shop assurred me that the radiator was fine but only to run a 3 lb cap! They showed me under pressure that the pretty rad flexed under pressure at about 11 lbs. I decided to run a 7 lb cap and I got some premature venting still. So, I slept on it and became concerned that it would have to go due to extreme heat conditions here in the desert. The shop (and I do trust them) said I was looking at about 500-600 for a completely custom radiator. They asked me to bring the old dented and defaced radiator so they could make measurements. That was this last Monday.

On Wednesday, the fellow called me and said to come by the shop. When I got there he informed me that the old dented and ugly rad had been re-cored and it was a well built HD rad except for the tank and defacement. It also was holding 20 lbs pressure when tested. The fellow told me he could do the cosmetics and make it look better and it would work just fine. I was charged $50.

I picked it up yesterday and I'm planning on installing it this weekend. I'll post a couple of pics in a couple of minutes. I'm planning on running a 12-13 lb cap now and hoping to sleep better.

Posted on: 2010/6/24 20:58
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved