Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 196

Pack120c, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

V8 With a T5
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ryan Messner
See User information
So I have the fly wheel and have tracked down a bell housing just don't have that in-hand yet. Sooooooon.

The question is what clutch and pressure plate would I use. Also I don't like the look of a cylinder cluttering up the firewall but what are my through out options?

What have you done?

Posted on: 2010/6/8 20:10
 Top  Print   

Re: V8 With a T5
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
First, which T5 are you using? Very few of them are suitable for being the link taking the strain of the weight of a Packard and the torque of the Packard V8.

The clutch and pressure plate can be most anything you want it to be. Packard used a very common pressure plate bolt pattern on the flywheel. There are both Long-style and diaphragm-style pressure plates available. You'll have to use a clutch disc which matches the transmission input shaft spline.

If this is going to be a bit of a hot rod, call McLeod, give them the spline diameter and count for the clutch disc and the bolt pattern for the flywheel and they can get you the good stuff.

Have you found a pilot bearing yet? These are NLA and getting expensive. PM me if you can't find one.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2010/6/8 20:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ryan Messner
See User information
The T5 seem to do handle 300hp stock but the torque that this motor has will tear it up. I have a friend that works for So-Cal speed shop here and they have a transmission guy that I was going to talk to about building one for me. I was looking at the G-Force kits as well.

What do those pilot bearing run? I haven't tried to even look for one yet. I know getting one for my '50 with the 288 was kind of a choir.

Ill call McCloud, thanks for the info.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 13:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Unless you get a brother-in-law deal on a beefed rebuilt T5, it will cost almost as much as a new TKO 500.

If you've never driven one, I think you'd be surprised how well a Borg-Warner T85 with overdrive works.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2010/6/9 14:43
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hammy56J
See User information
I have installed a Ford RUG all aluminum 4spd with 30 percent OD in my '56GH. It was the truck unit with bigger bearings so it should handle the torque from the Packard.I have the car version of this transmission in my Austin Healey with a 283 and one in my '50 Willys Delivery with a 350. The pilot bearing I used in the GH was wider than the stock Packard due to the input shaft being 1/4" shorter and the inside diameter being larger. The bearing is JAG W303-2RS.

Posted on: 2010/6/9 18:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Agree, for those with some scrounging and fab skills, the Ford RUG makes an excellent street transmission.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2010/6/9 22:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Big Healey or the Sprite???? What year??? With a 283 i'll bet that thing will out run the best of Corvettes or anything else on the road. Must have needed a lot of structural reenforcing for the rear axle???

Posted on: 2010/6/9 23:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

hammy56J
See User information
This is off topic, but the Healey is a '56 100 with '63 roll up window doors to allow the use of the hardtop. The 283 has a solid cam and a Healey 410 rearend. This rearend was from the Austin Princess sedan, so it is strong enough for the V8. It has Jaguar rims to get some more rubber on the road. It has been on the road for thirty years. Lots of fun!

Attach file:

jpg  (84.63 KB)
622_4c10c8f1ea255.jpg 944X592 px

Posted on: 2010/6/10 6:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The big Healey (especialy with a 283) or Jag XKE Xjs is an exquisite selection for anyones stable of cars. What u have there is exactly what i have wanted for many years. I just never happen to run across any Big Healeys to buy. Nice color too. They also look great painted BRG.

Posted on: 2010/6/10 7:18
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Note the steel wheels. V8s just rip the wires to shreds. BTDT.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2010/6/10 10:01
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved