Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 73

CartRich, Jimmyk, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: How does one remove seats from 1949 Packard???
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Most rear seats bottoms are retained by two metal "prongs" welded to the floorboard. These are about 1 inch wide and approx two inches tall. To remove the bottom cushion you have to push the front of seat toward the rear of car and lift up at the same time. This will allow the prongs to pull clear of retainer slots in the seat. The pushing back part can require a great deal of force if the cushion has a lot of padding. The first photo is of an upside down rear seat and shows the retainer slots. IIRC, the prongs are located about 1 foot from the center of car.

The front seat cushion varies a bit more. IIRC, the 50 is the same as the 47. The front side again lifts up to clear the frame and then slides forward. The second photo is of a 47 front seat frame assy and believe the 50 is about the same. Once the bottom cushion is removed bolts that hold the frame to the floor tracks can be removed. On most models you can remove the entire front seat assy by removing the nuts holding the tracks from under the car Number varies depending on model but is generally 4 per side.

The seat backs on both front and rear seats are held by bolts or screws thru some tabs at the bottom of the cushions. Number varies depending on car and whether there is an armrest. Once the bolts are removed the seat backs without arm rests generally have to lift up slightly to clear retaining tabs at the top of the cushions and then can be removed. Again, depending on padding it can take a bit of effort to clear the tabs. If it has an arm rest there may be two more bolts or screws about 6 inches below the top on either side of the arm rest. Those are reachable by pushing the side of the fabric covering behind the arm rest aside and reaching thru the small gap between the covering and cushion.. The third photo is of a 47 rear seat back with an arm rest. 50 should be similar.

Attach file:

jpg  (140.63 KB)
209_581d1db2f39c0.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (104.65 KB)
209_581d1dbfa4011.jpg 1280X778 px

jpg  (157.01 KB)
209_581d20170c217.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2016/11/4 18:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Logan
See User information
Thanks so much for the details and especially the photos. I'll try it tomorrow.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 20:11
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Logan
See User information
Thanks again for the previous post. So a friend and I tried the push back and down procedure at the same time, on both seats - no luck. We pushed as hard as we could. I guess it's likely rusted some and bent some so that the "tongues" are really stuck in the slots. I may see if I can rig some kind of jack to push harder against the firewall toward the bottom of the seats. But likely, I'll have to get it up on a rack and remove the chassis bolts from below. Any further info would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2016/11/15 14:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On the back seat bottom, hopefully you meant push back while you pull up. The bottom front edge has to lift up a couple of inches so the prongs clear the slots. As mentioned, depending on the shape of prongs and amount of padding there could be considerable effort needed on the push back

There are no bolts from under the car used on the back seat -- just the prongs or tabs welded to the floor. Unless the tabs have a notch like rough spot which engages the slot metal (some do but not all), you may be able to use a flat bar such as a flat nail puller. Work the end under the seat edge a couple of inches and then use like a lever to pry the front edge up. Unless the prongs have a notch and need the seat push back the bar should be able to lift the seat.

Posted on: 2016/11/15 15:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved