Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 165

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Oil filters and engine oil
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Thank you all for your promt assistance.

Rocky46

Posted on: 2010/8/17 13:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Hello.
Further to my request of 8/16:

I have checked different manufacturers application-look-up lists for oil filters, and found that some state that you can use either full flow - or by pass filters for the V8. Would not using a full flow filter in a by pass system reduce the oil pressure too much?
Anybody having facts around this?

Rocky46

Posted on: 2010/8/20 11:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not sure what you mean, but if you're asking if a insert cartridge designed for a full-flow application can be used in a by-pass housing, I'm sure the answer is yes as long as it seats properly. The filter is a filter; whether the system is by-pass or full-flow is inherent in the design of the engine oiling system.

Posted on: 2010/8/20 12:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
The restriction which limits the oil flow to the bypass filter is in the brass fitting, not the filter. Even if no element is in the canister, the oil flow in is the same.

Some '50s OEMs used a replaceable element in a cannister as part of a full-flow system. Others used the same element in a canister as a bypass system. Both worked equally well.

FWIW, the only time a bypass isn't as good as a full flow is if someone dumped some grit into the oil system. The full flow would trap the grit before it got into the bearings until the filter element became plugged and then would bypass the oil with the grit in it. Under normal conditions, a bypass filter works just fine.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/8/20 12:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Would not using a full flow filter in a by pass system reduce the oil pressure too much?

Since the standard bypass type oil filter is at the end of the oil passage and is restricted to virtually a trickle, I do not see how the flow through the filter could possibly affect the oil pressure negatively. If anything, a lesser flowing filter would INCREASE the oil pressure. As an example, if the line to the filter is completely blocked, the oil pressure seen at the pressure sender will go up slightly.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/8/20 12:46
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
I had the understanding that the flow restriction was inside the filter element itself; as on pictures you see more holes on the full flow elements.
Is there any practical difference using a full flow filter element instead of a by pass element in the Packard V8?

Rocky46

Posted on: 2010/8/20 13:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Is there any practical difference using a full flow filter element instead of a by pass element in the Packard V8?

It does not matter if you are talking about the stock bypass filter canister. The fitting into the DS head front is RESTRICTED, therefore, anything downstream, i.e., the filter, is LESS restrictive than the restricted fitting.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/8/20 14:27
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Thank you all for your info.
I am learning something new every day.

Rocky46

Posted on: 2010/8/21 2:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved