Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
175 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 172

Chuck McDonald, humanpotatohybrid, Bob Supina, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

U-Joints for 5587 with Ultrramatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Gents & Ladies:

Can someone please educate me about the u-joints on my Packard? I'll be putting in another transmission with a few weeks and I wonder if now is the time to just replace the u-joints while we are in there? Are there signs of wear that are noticeable to the eye? Also, are the joints readily available via normal part houses or do I have to rely on the specialty Packard outlets?

Many thanks!

kg

Posted on: 2010/8/30 16:02
 Top  Print   

Re: U-Joints for 5587 with Ultrramatic
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am under the impression that front joint on seniors was only used on a few cars--think by Chrysler--and is almost history -- or it you do luck out and come across one, be prepared to pay. Rear doesn't seem to be as big an issue.

Hopefully, my impression is wrong and someone will correct me.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 16:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
IIRC, Chrysler used the same size Detroit Lubricator joint as the Junior cars, not the Senior.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 16:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The front (ball & trunnion) joint on Ultramatic cars is different between the juniors and seniors. The most obvious difference is the length of the housing bore. The senior joint is just about NLA, though kits with the balls, needles, pin and boot can be found - the real problem is when the housing itself is worn. Spray welding and remachining may be an alternative but fortunately as long as the boot doesn't rupture and they are repacked at reasonably intervals, they're pretty long lived. I've been told the joint used on many Chrysler products interchanges with the juniors but not the seniors - can't vouch for that.

Turbopacman, I believe that Detroit Lubricator, maker of those updraft carburetors, was a different company from the Detroit that made the ball & trunnion joints, do you have information on that?

Posted on: 2010/8/30 17:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Well, all the one's I've seen on '50s Chrysler had "Detroit Lubricator" stamped on the steel cover on the front end of them. Never looked on the Packard ones.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 17:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Well thanks, that's an interesting piece of information. I'd be amazed if the Chrysler and Packard ones weren't made by the same company.

When downdraft carburetors came along Detroit Lubricator apparently gave up the carburetor market, so perhaps they shifted their focus to a different product line or lines? Worthy of a little investigation.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 17:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
From what I can tell, the Chrysler ones are the same size as the Junior Packard ones.

I wish I had a picture of one of the Chrysler ones, but I remember it vividly as I also have/had a Detroit Lubricator cast iron carb and thought that it was funny that they diversified like that.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 17:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If it ever becomes convenient, I'd appreciate a picture of a ball & Trunnion u-joint, Packard or Chrysler, with the Detroit Lubricator name on it.

Posted on: 2010/8/30 17:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
If I ever come across another one I will definitely do that!

Posted on: 2010/8/30 17:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have two kits, both labeled 436199. One has a Packard label, with no mention of Studebaker or S-P. The other has a Studebaker label with no mention of Packard or S-P. Both contain the same identical repair kit which is the front Senior universal kit. Both covers say DETROIT, not DETROIT Lubricator.

I just loaned ACOlds some old mags from 51 and 52 and there is an ad in one of them for Detroit universals.
Al, does the ad mention Detroit Lubricator??

Posted on: 2010/8/30 21:09
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved