Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 184

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Building it correctly - getting the crud out
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
quote: "...learned there is no way to know the inside is clean unless we can look through end-to-end."

Drag a string with a white cloth attached to the string thru it until there is no dirt on the cloth. Clean is clean.

The blind ends blow out just fine with a small bent tube attached to the air blow gun.

I'll agree that removing an end plug or both is faster and better way to do it.

Posted on: 2010/9/2 16:50
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Some old crud which may come loose in the rocker shafts is not the same thing as ditto in the main oil feeds.

Then again, one should not clean and overhaul one of our Packard engines the same as an in-&-out overhaul shop.

As an aside FWIW, Pontiac had the right design with their ball-stud rocker arms in 1955, which Chevrolet copied BTW. No cleaning issues with that once they got rid of the rocker stud oiling and went to pushrod oiling. IMO, there was no need for rocker shaft design in the Packard V-8 since the RPM was not that high.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/9/2 17:58
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Getting a bit OT here:

Quote:
IMO, there was no need for rocker shaft design in the Packard V-8 since the RPM was not that high.

When the Studebaker and Packard V8s were being designed, the best practice they had to copy were the first-generation Kettering Cadillac and Oldsmobile V8s, and copy they did. The Pontiac and Chevrolet stud-and-ball innovation didn't debut til long after the S-P designs were locked in.

Quote:
Some old crud which may come loose in the rocker shafts is not the same thing as ditto in the main oil feeds.

Craig, you're going to have to help me on this one. Why is crud in the rockers coming loose and circulating less damaging than crud in the main oil feeds coming loose and circulating? To me, crud in the oil is crud in the oil.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/9/2 21:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Another thing to remember is that Jack's procedures are applicable to any engine rebuild, regardless of age or make.

"Cleanliness is next to Godliness" cannot be stressed enough during an engine rebuild, and it's best to behave like you're a doctor doing open heart surgery when the time for final assembly comes along. At least that's what I do.

I've taken engines to the shop to have them hot tanked and when I get them back home all the oil galleys are still filled with sludge. I've found the best way to clean them is a gun cleaning kit with the brass brushes and a lot of brake cleaner/carb cleaner/acetone/etc and keep scrubbing until it all comes cleaned. Then, take it back to the shop and have it hot tanked again, then when it gets home break out the brushes and do it again. Overkill? Probably. Worth it in my book? Priceless.

Posted on: 2010/9/2 22:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Jack Vines wrote: Quote:
Getting a bit OT here:

Quote:

IMO, there was no need for rocker shaft design in the Packard V-8 since the RPM was not that high.

When the Studebaker and Packard V8s were being designed, the best practice they had to copy were the first-generation Kettering Cadillac and Oldsmobile V8s, and copy they did. The Pontiac and Chevrolet stud-and-ball innovation didn't debut til long after the S-P designs were locked in.

True, but I'm just sayin' that the rocker shaft design was an overkill.

Quote:

Craig, you're going to have to help me on this one. Why is crud in the rockers coming loose and circulating less damaging than crud in the main oil feeds coming loose and circulating? To me, crud in the oil is crud in the oil.

jack vines

My point is simply that old crud coming loose in the rocker shafts is NOT going to the bearings directly and will (hopefully) not be as destructive as old crud going directly to the bearings. With the bypass oil filter, that is really hopeful. A minor, minor difference, I'll grant.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/9/2 23:34
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Sorry if a bit off topic, but were straight eights as difficult to get clean prior to a rebuild? Granted, they had no lube in the head, no rocker shafts or ball-studs, but what about the rest of the block?

Posted on: 2010/9/3 8:00
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Granted, they had no ..........rocker shafts

Others can comment on the differences in cleaning one versus the other but I suspect the difference isn't particuarly significant. But note that the prewar "Standard" and Super Eights thru 1939 did have rocker shafts.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 9:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
With an oil galley that runs a full 3 feet long I'd say that they're just as difficult maybe more so. That's where the gun cleaning brush comes in handy. A .22 size brush is great for oil passages, and a .45 size brush comes in handy on the larger galleys.

Posted on: 2010/9/3 11:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Let me throw you the big question:

What price range does a motor overhaul cover for a Packard V8?

Presumeably it usually falls between X and Y bucks; what are X and Y?

Posted on: 2010/9/3 23:02
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Mininum of $3000 for a basic long block rebuild, Everything new except block, crank, rods and heads/rockers.

Figure $4000 for a precision rebuild with line-honed main bores, balanced rotating assembly, block decked, ARP rod nuts and so on.

Most expensive performance engine thus far was $10,000, with forged pistons, roller cam, supercharger and EFI.

jack vines

Posted on: 2010/9/4 0:31
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved