Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 197

todd landis, Phat Jonny, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

power steering on 51 400
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ted
See User information
Hi everyone, still looking for a Packard,and again found one on Packard International. She is a 51 400 and in talking to the owner's son he installed a 52 power steering unit from Max Merritt for his dad to make it easier for him to drive the car since his dad is 85. Can this be done and would there be safety concerns that I should be looking at? Thanks for your replys in advance.

Posted on: 2010/9/2 17:03
 Top  Print   

Re: power steering on 51 400
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've even seen it added to 22nd/23rd series. The conversion is apparently not overly complicated but folks I've spoken with about it don't bother to change the steering gear box so you get less than ideal results as the PS models used a faster ratio (less turns lock to lock).

A 1951 Patrician is a desireable postwar model do you should consider the decrease in value that might result, depending on what the next prospective buyer might be looking for.

Posted on: 2010/9/2 17:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Owen_Dyneto wrote: Quote:
so you get less than ideal results as the PS models used a faster ratio (less turns lock to lock).

Not quite sure what you mean by "less than ideal". At worst, it would be easier to turn than the normal Packard PS, but that would still be consistent with other PS units of the era which were usually overkill, i.e., one finger parallel parking kind of things.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/9/2 17:34
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sure, easier to turn at the expense of more turning than would have been necessary. That's all I meant. Maybe I should have said "but not the same as a factory installation".

Posted on: 2010/9/2 17:38
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ted
See User information
Thanks for all the responses and please keep them coming. So because the PS would be so called after market it is possible that if I were to sell it in the future some one might not want to buy it because of the PS??

Posted on: 2010/9/2 17:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Some buyers might consider it a negative because it's not authentic, others might consider it a positive because it makes it more driveable. What a future buyer might like and dislike is just something to live with unless the car will be a long-term keeper for you.

Posted on: 2010/9/2 19:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
In 1951 only one car in the world offered power steering and it wasn't Packard, it was Chrysler. So no it will never be authentic. However this will not affect the value unless it is a real museum piece in fact for many buyers it will enhance the value.

It is not an aftermarket conversion because it uses factory parts, just parts that were not available that year.

If the changeover was done by a good mechanic it should be as safe and reliable as a factory installation since everything was engineered and tested by the factory, for what was substantially the same car.

It would be fair if you sell the car, to tell the buyer that power steering was not available on that model but was added later. This may seem obvious but some liars would try to pass it off as a rare prototype or custom job or some such fairy tale. This kind of thing can cause a lot of confusion and should be discouraged,

Posted on: 2010/9/2 19:54
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ted
See User information
Thank You one and all for your input. Owen and Rusty Thank You both for giving me peace of mind. I will be 65 next May and this Packard represents to me something that my Dad might have worked on or help placing a part on.

He started work at Packard on 7-8-1934 and lost his job in 1956 when the plant closed.I will be making an offer for the 51 and hopefully all will work out. I will keep everyone posted for the results,the son is away for the holiday weekend and will be back next Tuesday, so please stay tuned as maybe we can add another car to the regestry. Than You again.

Posted on: 2010/9/2 22:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Hi Ted, this is exciting news. I hope all goes well and we may be able to hit some shows and events together this fall / winter. Sounds like a lovely car that has the added bonus of power steering. I would not think this would make the car any less desirable since it is done with factory offered components. Look forward to hearing how it works out.

Jim & Debbie

Posted on: 2010/9/2 22:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Ted, if it makes you feel any better I'm putting '56 Patrician power steering on my '48. The steering box may be slower geared but at least I will be able to turn it with one finger while sitting still when it's done.

Posted on: 2010/9/2 23:43
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved