Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 146

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Newbie here,with a question about an engine swap.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Palanirides
See User information
Ozterman,

Might this picture -- the only one I have of the engine -- offer any clues to what it might be?

Attach file:

jpg  (76.95 KB)
3019_4c858cfd4f5ba.jpg 862X598 px

Posted on: 2010/9/6 19:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
22nd or 23rd series junior engine, either a 288 or 327 but not a 356. Engine# would confirm, and you can't rely on the 288 or 327 cast on the cylinder head as the heads have often been changed over the years and they do interchange.

Posted on: 2010/9/6 20:07
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Palanirides
See User information
Owen,

So is the engine family number actually on the core itself? Yes,right?

Thanks.

Posted on: 2010/9/6 20:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Judging from what I know of this car, since it's here in Kansas up by Kansas City, I'm going to say that the engine's a 327 if it's original, and I'm pretty sure it is. I'm thinking it's a 2270, as shown here:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/modelinfo/viewmodel.php?model=83

The nice thing about 327's and 288's is that as long as the 327 is a 5 main you can use a 288 block, and 288 blocks are everywhere.

Posted on: 2010/9/6 20:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Yes, the engine # is on the driver's side of the engine, on the side, towards the rear, close to the top by the head.

Posted on: 2010/9/6 20:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
So is the engine family number actually on the core itself? Yes,right

Yes, right. Locate the engine number on the driver's side of the block. The letter prefix determines the year or series, and the first digit of the number (2XX,XXX, 4XX,XXX, etc.) tells you which engine. I know this is spelled out in much detail elsewhere on this site. Try a search on motor number.

Posted on: 2010/9/6 21:00
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Palanirides
See User information
Thanks,Owen. I'll get the guy checking it out to look there for sure.So regardless of whether it is a 288 or 327,it will mate with the tranny of this car came with,right?

Turbo,
You actually know this car? Have you actually seen it in person? Yes,it is located right outside KC. This car,from what I know,is the "Deluxe Sedan for Seven",and it did not come with fender skirts.I don't believe it is the model you linked though close.

By the way,throughout all my research these past few days,I was bound to find other tempting prospects. Here's one that runs,a roll up center divider window,a lower price,AND a donor car.What scares me is the obvious.

http://americandreamcars.com/1949packardlimo0303.htm

Thanks again,guys.

Posted on: 2010/9/6 21:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Know of it yes, seen it in person, no. It's been on ebay multiple times, so I'm thinking a lower cash offer might just buy it.

Fender skirts are an option, the mounting is there for them no matter if they're on the car or not.

And I think the car here in Ks. is a lot better than the last one you posted, even if it's cheaper.

And all postwar Packard straight eights use the same bellhousing bolt pattern from engine to bellhousing and bellhousing to trans. The only time you run into a problem is when you have a 356, as the 356 uses a larger input shaft on the trans than the smaller engines. The bolt patterns are all the same though. Also, the '50 and back transmissions are a little different physically than the '51 and up transmissions,(the overdrives are shorter) although the later ones can be made to fit.

Posted on: 2010/9/6 21:57
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Palanirides
See User information
...Now the thought starts to arise: Should I go ahead with the auto purchase,how do I protect myself buying this vehicle as I'll be doing outside of Ebay where it was originally listed?

I've never done this before,so what are the caveats? This guy seems legit,he does deal in classic cars and their shipment of them,and the seller who put up the Ebay ad has a spotless record through 33 transactions...Any ideas,y'all?

(sigh)

Posted on: 2010/9/7 2:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
What I would do if I was 100% serious about buying the car and lived that far away from it would be to have someone that's close by go look at it for you. Pay someone's gas money and a little bit on top and you could have a good examination and opinion on the car. I'm sure that you could find someone on here that's close to KC that can do it for you. I could, but I'm quite a ways away from KC to make a short trip up to check it out for you.

Posted on: 2010/9/7 2:18
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved