Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Newbie here,with a question about an engine swap.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Palanirides
See User information
Hi,everyone...I'm possibly purchasing a Packard. :)

Well,I have a lead on a 1948 Deluxe Sedan for Seven (similar to the black one pictured here on the first page of your photo archive[Gerald T Capak's one]) that I'd like to purchase if the seller and I can agree on a price after an independent third party goes to check it out for me.It's in the midwest and I'm in San Diego. It looks to be in pretty good shape given the pictures recently displayed on Ebay,but the seller says the original straight eight engine has a "weldable" crack in a water jacket area. I was hoping to make it road worthy in a year or two (finances being the key there). With that in mind,I've been doing a lot of cramming in the last 48 hours researching all I can the into a temporary good suitable straight six replacement for it;I like what I've read about the higher horsepower Ford I6(I'm a Ford guy at heart)engines out there. Beside the very IMPORTANT reason of keeping all alterations to a minimum (I have to be practical here should I decide to later sell it),the reason I'd like to go with this engine is that it's economical, powerful enough, parts are everywhere, and seems the best choice in terms of simplicity and fabrication(engine mounts,transmission linkage,etc)until I decided where I would want to go with this car. Getting it road worthy would be more practical for me in terms of getting it to places that can work on the body,paint,upholstery,etc,also. Is this engine a good choice,or are there more suitable options for this particular car,its engine bay,its drive train,etc.? Has anyone ever had this done to cars of the 22nd,23td,or 24th series? I'm just wondering about what obstacles I might face.

I did talk to the seller this past Saturday and he said the body and frame are basically sound with minimal surface rust.He did say that the windows have some browning around the edges. Is there anything that can be done about the browning,or are there good windows still out there for this model?

Thank you for reading this...If I do purchase this vehicle,I hope it does not become a project that will languish in my back yard for years.I really love this car's looks,and I've always wanted to own a car so few have. :)

Posted on: 2010/9/5 14:49
 Top  Print   

Re: Newbie here,with a question about an engine swap.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Palanirides
See User information
Hmmmm,why didn't my pictures materialize?

Posted on: 2010/9/5 14:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Your pictures are probably wrong size or format or you didn't click on Upload after selecting each one. Check out this thread for photo posting guides.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2726&forum=14

A weldable crack is not the end of the world if it is as described. As to the engine swap with a different make, there will be a lot more to it than just an engine. A lot of the drivetrain will also have to change as well as mounting brackets for all. Anything that "butchers" the frame so a proper engine will be hard to put back is not a good idea IMHO. Others here have more experience in the swap dept so am sure more opinions will be forthcoming.

Not knowing which model and engine is there now kind of limits suggestions--some engines are rather common across years and easily found for probably less than the swap would cost. Others such as the 356 are one of the finest engines Packard made but also harder to find and fairly expensive to buy and work on. You will probably get a lot of people trying to discourage the swap--for resale value alone if nothing else.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 15:08
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Palanirides
See User information
Thanks,HH56.

As I mentioned,I'm looking for anything that will keep as much of the frame and engine bay as true to how it left the factory as possible. I'm trying to avoid any welding or cutting wherever or whenever possible. I'm leaning toward something like the I6 precisely because it seems less invasive/intrusive,yet economical and strong enough to pull this beast around. I'm just throwing this all out there to see what I'm possibly getting into.

I'll look into getting this image problem solved too. :)

Posted on: 2010/9/5 15:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Palanirides wrote: Hi,everyone...I'm possibly purchasing a Packard. :)

Well,I have a lead on a 1948 Deluxe Sedan............I really love this car's looks,and I've always wanted to own a car so few have. :)
G'day Palanirides,
to PackardInfo. No expert on these matters but here's my on your engine swap proposal. First, the Ford I6 is 12Volt while the Packard is 6Volt, so there would also be issues involving the electrical system. Second is mating the Ford I6 to the Packard driveline. You'd either have to adapt the I6 to the Packard bellhousing or trans or use the Ford bellhousing and trans and then have the Packard driveshaft modified to suit. Third, would be the distance between the I6's fan and the radiator because the Packard 8 is a much longer engine. Probably solvable by using an electric fan which could form part of your electrical system compatibility fix. After all that, as HH56 said, "some engines are rather common across years and easily found for probably less than the swap would cost", and on that basis maybe something like this engine would be cheaper and easier for enabling the Packard to be up and running for the purposes you mentioned.

All that said, I hope you do purchase the Packard and when you do I invite you to include your '48 Deluxe Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?

Posted on: 2010/9/5 16:02
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Palanirides
See User information
Thanks,Ozstatman.

If it seems I'm asking a lot of questions from out in left field,it's only because all of this was thrown into my lap in just the past few days. I mean,the chance to own a Packard??? I'm cramming all I can in what little time I have to make a decision. It's isn't so much the upfront costs,as it is the long term ones that worry me at this time. I really don't want to restomod it if I can help it and keep it as pure as possible.

So will that engine you linked mate with the existing transmission and drive train with little or no problems? It's the very same block?

By the way,in my research I ran across this.Impressive. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw1ZMl17AOQ

Thanks again.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 16:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Palanirides wrote:......So will that engine you linked mate with the existing transmission and drive train with little or no problems? It's the very same block?......
I refer to what HH56 had to say on this aspect.Quote:

HH56 wrote:.......Not knowing which model and engine is there now kind of limits suggestions--some engines are rather common across years and easily found for probably less than the swap would cost. Others such as the 356 are one of the finest engines Packard made but also harder to find and fairly expensive to buy and work on.......
The 288 and 327 family of engines are the "common" type referred to by HH56 while the 356 cited is much rarer. You'll need to determine which engine is being used in the Packard you're interested in. The data plate on the firewall/cowl showing the model information and the engine number, stamped in block, will help determine that.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 17:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Palanrides, send me a pm and I'll give you my phone number and I can tell you all about swaps and interchanges on these cars, what part will fit, what won't, and what it does to value.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 19:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
#1 A crack is not the end of the world. They are fairly common on old engines from a cold climate. If not too bad they can be repaired by welding, stitching or even JB weld epoxy. If the engine is otherwise good, and the crack not too severe it may be an easy repair. You will have to see it or wait till the inspection.

#2 It would cost no more to find a suitable Packard engine and rebuild it, than to install a junkyard Ford engine. And the Packard engine will not depreciate the value like an engine swap would. I would not even consider such a swap, it would be too much work and expense for too poor a return.

#3 Usually "browning" is the result of delamination. Laminated safety glass is made of 2 thin sheets of glass with a sheet of clear plastic in between. After many years the glass can start to separate around the edges allowing the plastic to turn color.

This only happens to the windshield because it is the only glass on the car that is laminated.

But usually it is white or light green not brown.

If it is not the windshield maybe it is only dirty. I have seen cars that belonged to a heavy smoker that you could hardly see out of.

In any case the windshield and side windows are flat glass. This can be easily replaced by any auto glass shop. Only the back window is curved. It can only be replaced by genuine Packard glass. But they seldom get broken.

(PS it is possible to make a replacement back glass of clear plastic but this is seldom necessary. Used back glass is readily available).

Going by your questions, I suspect you have not had much to do with restoring an old car. This would be an awfully big job for a beginner. It's hard to describe quite what you are getting into but let me try.

Imagine yourself writing a check for $1000 every week for the next year, and the car still won't be finished.

When I read old car ads I envy anyone who lives in San Diego because there seem to be so many solid, rust free, low priced cars in southern California. May I suggest you keep looking until you find a car in better shape, closer to home, that needs no work? I realize it will cost a lot more money but believe me, it will be way cheaper than trying to restore a cheap car and look at the time you save.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 20:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
"This only happens to the windshield because it is the only glass on the car that is laminated."

WRONG.

All the side glass in my '48 is laminated, from the vent windows to the door windows. The ONLY piece of glass that isn't laminated on every old car that I've ever owned from '46 and up is the rear window.

Posted on: 2010/9/5 21:59
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved