Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
245 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 242

Gary Kulp, Alvin14, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: '51 clutch parts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The SoCal region of PI still has interchange manuals available.http://www.packards-today.com/catalog.php?CID=5 Clutches are in Vol 2. The one I have is 35 yrs old so unknown how much if any info has been added.

According to the manual, the sizes are 9?, 10, 11, & 12 inches and has a listing of cars that use each. The 10 would be correct in this case.

They also mention (as does O_D) that it is much better to have the old rebuilt rather than buying a non Packard piece. That may have something to do with the dampening springs. I believe there are a few service articles mentioning various changes in the springs to control or eliminate "disturbances" as Packard liked to call them.

Posted on: 2010/10/12 9:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
I think I have a NOS Packard clutch plate that'll work in your car. PM me if you're interested and I'll dig it out.

Posted on: 2010/10/15 10:01
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
Just a follow-up. I decided to get the parts I need from Kanter. After looking around at other clutch sources, I figured I still would have to get a throw-out bearing and pressure plate from somewhere, so I just went with the one source. Just finished it up last night. Everything works great. Just in time to put it in storage!

Thanks for all of the advice and input.

Posted on: 2010/11/24 23:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Hi,

This is the first time I'm reading this post, it popped up with your newest entry tonight. I read it from the beginning and my heart sank the more I read. You wanted to hear of good experiences and horror stories and I saw you headed straight for clutch hell. Lots and lots of incorrect information from fellow Packard owners trying to be helpful.

Clutch discs have different diameters AND they also have different thicknesses. Pressure plates have different release heights. If there weren't so many differences there wouldn't be hundreds and hundreds of 10" clutches and pressure plates. They may bolt in but they may slip or not release

Packard V8's have 4" pistons, so do Cadillac,Buick, Ford, Lincoln, Chevy etc. Between them there are probably 200 4" pistons and none of them interchange.

Glad you had a successful and happy ending. I'd like to send you a set of seat belts for your family, safety first, let me know.

Fred Kanter
Kanter Auto Products
Boonton NJ

PS, Your kids will know what a REAL car is.
Boonton NJ

Posted on: 2010/11/25 0:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
I've been thinking about seat belts myself. But I can't decide on the color. When I do get around to the interior, I've been thinking of going away from the factory gray. But black may be the way to go....hmm needs some thought.

Posted on: 2010/11/26 23:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved