Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 211

William Grosz, Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

23rd Series Transmission Tunnel Access
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
I have had two situations arrive this year where I have desired access to my Super 8 transmission from above. I thought it might be useful to some owners if I posted a couple of pix of the access plate to illustrate its exact location and what things look like once opened. My recent thread detailing troubleshooting of my R-11 overdrive led me to remove it last night to see if I can get to the governor; unfortunately, it remains tucked up underneath the lower left corner of the opening, so I still have some cutting to do to get to it!

Attach file:

jpg  (171.22 KB)
610_4ccad03e077e0.jpg 865X1301 px

jpg  (166.98 KB)
610_4ccad04ab32a8.jpg 854X1285 px

Posted on: 2010/10/29 8:49
 Top  Print   

Re: 23rd Series Transmission Tunnel Access
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Does the 24th Series AKA 1951 have an access panel like this for the Ultramatic? I'm not looking forward to crawling under the car each time I want to check the transmission fluid level.
Sorry about butting in on this.

Posted on: 2010/10/29 12:25
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Out of luck after 23rd series.

Posted on: 2010/10/29 12:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
"Out of luck" expresses it better than anything I can come up with; but thanks for the answer.

Posted on: 2010/10/29 13:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You still have to crawl under to check but they did provide a small access plate over breather 51-4 so you can pour fluid in from top--after you move the seat back and the carpet away. Guess a second plate for dipstick would have been overkill because of the location.

Posted on: 2010/10/29 13:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I saw in the "Operator's Manual" I think, a picture of a technician standing under a car filling the transmission with a "U" shaped fitting on the end of a hose.
Fortunately at the end of the parking slab behind the house there is a couple of foot drop off. If I build out a ramp and make sure that it's level, I should be able to crawl under without too many contortions.
I guess Packard wanted to make sure owners came back to the dealer every 1,000 miles.
Thanks for the info about the access plate up top though. I'll come in handy for fluid changes.

Posted on: 2010/10/29 20:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Newer Fords are pretty much the same way with their transmissions, I know the Lincoln LS for one has no dipstick and you fill the trans from under the car. They take a special drain/fill plug that we had to stock 20 at a time at somewhere around $50 each at the Ford dealership that I worked at because the "technicians" couldn't figure out how to check the level with it and always stripped them out.

It's crap like that that makes me hate engineers.

Posted on: 2010/10/29 20:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Well, that explains why I couldn't find the transmission dipstick on my neighbor's '03 Town Car.....

Posted on: 2010/10/30 0:46
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved